Ferris Wheel

"Hey Alex you wanna go to the fair?" I scream at my boyfriend.

"This essay is due in two weeks and I only have thirteen pages done," He yells back from his office.

"So then that's a yes!" I answer for him, running up the stairs and grabbing him before he can protest. He groans in response but puts on his shoes and walks out the front door with me.

We walk down the busy streets of New York until we reach the large lot that lays outside of the city where the fair is held every year.

"What do you want to ride first?" I ask him.

"Are you sure I'm tall enough to even ride anything?" He questions.

"Sure you are," I reassure him. "Besides you're 19 they can't not let you ride."

"In that case, let's ride that," He says, pointing to a roller coaster that spins. I grab his hand and run to it.

The line moves pretty quickly and soon we're in the front. We get into the seats, Alexander sinking down into them.

"Don't stare at me I'm not that short!" He yells at a group of passing girls that are staring at him. I pat his head and let out a chuckle as the ride starts to move. Alexander clutches onto the metal bar, his knuckles starting to turn white.

"It's okay," I tell him. "Don't worry."

He nods. Well he as best he can. I take my hand and wrap it around his until the ride ends. When it does we get off and walk to the concession stand.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Nothing I ate earlier." He responds. I nod and tell him to go sit down by I order him fries anyways knowing that he hasn't eaten today. When the food is done I walk up and grab it, then set it all down.

"I told you I already ate," He tells me sassily.

"I was laying in the floor of the kitchen all day and you never stepped in," I respond. He rolls his eyes but picks up a fry and takes a small bite. I smile in content and take a bite of my fajita (Yes they serve these at the fair the have here and yes I get the veggie one and also they're amazing).

Once he finishes, or gets down 17 fries we throw away the trash and walk over to where the rides are.

"What now?" I ask him.

"The ferris wheel," He states. I nod and he grabs hand walking over to the ferris wheel. This time the line takes a while, but the excited look on my boyfriends face keeps me waiting.

"We're next!" He squeals. The man in charge does the thingy and the seat flies down to the ground. We sit down in it and he fastens the strap over us. The machine starts moving slowly at first, but then it speeds up. He kicks his feet around, a look of pure joy on his face.

Or that is until it started raining.

When the first raindrop fell all the emotion drained from his face and he curls up on my side.

"Hey it's okay we're going to get off soon don't worry," I whisper to him. The ride stops, while we're sitting on the top.

Crap.

Tears fall down Alex's face as he curls up on the seat. The strap and metal bar come loose and we sit, unprotected on metal during a thunderstorm. I look over the edge but the cart starts to creak and Alex cries harder. I pull my phone out of my pocket but it's already soaked from the rain. Alex didn't even bring his phone.

"Shhh It's all okay," I coo, pulling him into my lap. He gets quieter, but soaks my shirt. I lean over again, slowly and see that everyone has already left.

So did the other people riding.

How did I not hear them?

I look to the left and see a ladder, but it's to far away to just climb onto. (I'm basing this on pictures and divergent don't judge me.)

"Hey can you do something for me?" I ask, lifting his face up to mine. He nods his head shakily. "Okay climb onto my back, don't let go, and don't look down."

He climbs onto my back, and latches on tightly, his face in the crevice of my neck. I climb over the cart and onto the metal bar. It starts to creak and Alex holds on even tighter. I shuffle my feet along the bar until I reach the middle where the ladder is. I clutch on the wet bars.

I take slow steps down, trying not to slip. I miss a step, my foot dangling in the air. Alex screams and starts crying even harder. I swing my foot back in and climb down further. I finally reach the bottom so I climb over the fence, finally on the ground. Alex jumps down off my back and pulls me into a hug.

"Okay?" I ask him.

"Okay." 

****

I wrote this all in comic sans but I guess wattpad thinks that's to cringy. Also sorry about the Fault in our stars reference I just thought it would hurt the heart. aallssoooo this was a request from thesannycrew so thank you