Chapter 4

I pulled on my underwear and bra as I walked over to my closet. I could hear James groan as he got up. I keep my mind blank like a field of the whitest possible snow. Cautiously, I took a peek at him to see him with his boxers on.

So sorry to disappoint you Ro for wearing my boxers but I am not going to a big lunch commando, so not happening, he thought at me.

I laughed and thought only of him trying to make sure my dad wouldn't overhear. Stop sounding like a white girl and get over here. I don't know what I'm supposed to wear.

Begrudgingly, he walked over to me and I gestured to all the dresses sitting in front of me. He placed a hand on my lower back as he made a breeze to move the rack around in circles. Beautiful gowns, some poofy and some slim fitting, spun by me and I watched as James just kept going as though he already knew which one he wanted me to wear. Then the rack stopped and I stood before a gorgeous dress.

It was a deep sapphire gown with gold trim on the hem and the long sleeves and v-neck. The back was low, dipping down to just before mid back. It was knee length and cinched at the waist. James removed his hand from my back and grabbed the dress. He held it out to me and I took it gingerly.

The material rippled like water, the gold glinting like the sun off of it. I slipped it off the hanger and gave that to James. Then I stepped into it. The material was loose at first but then it shrank to my form. The bodice hugged my chest and flowed nicely from my waist. I spun a few times to get the feel of it. I loved it. I smiled up at James to see him clad in black pants, a white long sleeve button up and...combat boots?

You were so fancy until the combat boots, I mused to him.

Well I like to look nice but have something to show everyone I'm still deadly, I'm still me, he replied completely serious in my head.

Where are my vans? I asked combing my hair with my fingers.

He smiled and handed me my vans. I slipped them on and then braided flowers into my hair that I grew from my palm. Blue violets and gold dandelions sparkled like jewels in my hair. I tied off the braid and look at James for approval. Oh I got approval alright. His eyes scanned me up and down and he let out a low whistle. I mock curtsied and laughed. He grabbed my hand and twirled me a few times and when I tripped over something and almost fell he caught me.

A rapping came from my door causing us both to jump. You slow pokes ready? Or at least decent? 

I laughed, James gave me a knowing look. I focused my thoughts on my dad and only my dad. We're ready, please do enter Father.

The door opened and my father entered smiling. That was perfect daughter. 

I laughed back. Good now shall we head down to lunch?

You look ravishing daughter but, your shoes are a little....out of place.

Father, I want to have one piece of myself with me everywhere to show people I'm still me. It's either the shoes or the clothes.

Shoes it is then. 

I smiled.

We exited the room into a bright golden hallway. The floors were a shining white marble and the ceilings were high and curved. Chandeliers were hanging on the ceilings sparkling like diamonds. The walls were a sparkling gold and white pillars shot up from the ground. It was like stepping into a fantasy which I guess i kind of was. Father shut my door and offered me his arm. I hesitated glancing back to where James stood at attention, his gaze locked on me.

It's okay take his arm, James said at the same time my father said, It's tradition for a princess to take her father's arm. 

I nodded, to both of them, and took my father's arm. He was, once again, in robes but this time they were the color of the sunrise. We looked different but our faces looked the same.  We walked down the hall, father and daughter at last, with James trailing behind like a guard dog. The corridors had sharp turns and were almost too bright. We turned down many corridors, all of which looked the same, until I saw the gold start to fade into a magnificent sunrise orange. Laughter floated through the hall all the way to me. The smell of roasting food and the sounds of clinking silverware washed over me. 

We kept walking until we stood before two tall glass doors. Then the panic set in. What if they see I'm different? What if I stick out like a sore thumb? Wh-what if they laugh at me because I just showed up? What if---

What if you take a deep breath and realize these our are people and this gathering is for you so that we can celebrate the returning of our princess?

I looked at my dad and my face softened and I relaxed. He was right I was panicking for no reason. I took a deep breath and returned my gaze to the big glass doors in front of me. i nodded. The doors opened and I was greeted by the smiles and cheers of maybe 6000 of the Unseen in celebration of me.

For the longest time I always thought they wanted to take me away to hurt me. But what if they just wanted to bring me back home?

Home...

I guess this is home now...

At least for now...