Chapter 5

The people cheering made me feel like I belonged somewhere. Like I had somewhere that people wouldn't make fun of me and beat down on me and spit on me for being different. I had finally found my place in the world, well possibly. But as i scanned the crowd I remembered the blue eyes and red hair. 

I found her face in the crowd and I stiffened unable to move as my father took a step forward. James squeezed my hand but our eyes were locked. I hardly noticed the glass walls and ceilings, the elaborate food laid out for everyone, all the people staring at me. Her claw tipped hand unfurled and I felt all our memories come back.

My first sleepover with her. Our first kiss. James pulling me away with me screaming I chose her. He face inches from mine in the forest where she tricked me. When I died and she was there. All the nightmares she gave me.

All of them I remembered now. I had fallen to my knees and was clutching my ears trying to drown out her horrible high pitch scream. 

That's when she attacked.

Blackness poured into the room and she tore off her poofy dress to reveal black leather jeans and a white cutoff tee. Her eyes were ravenous. People were battling around me, trying to attack the shadows that had turned into her warriors. I could hardly move for her gaze immobilized me.

James jumped in between us and I screamed as she lunged at him. I could move again. Hastily, I stood. She struck out and barely missed James's chest. 

Chaos was surrounding me.

I had to stop it.

My father was in the middle of it.

He got clawed and that was my last straw of patience.

"ENOUGH!" I screamed putting so much strength and pain and authority in that one word that everyone froze.

Alicia stepped around James looking at me dumbfoundedly. 

"How dare you bring my family into this?!?" I asked poison dripped off of each word.

"THEY AREN'T YOUR FAMILY!!" she screamed back tears filling up her sapphire eyes that matched my dress. "I AM!! I LOVE YOU GODDAMMIT!! I NEED YOU...but you probably don't remember my name."

Her voice went so soft it was almost inaudible. 

I walked up to her and tilted her head up so our eyes locked. 

I breathed her name as I wiped a tear from her eye

"Alicia."

She threw her arms around me. 

What was with her? I hesitantly hugged back.

"Please," she sniffled. "Come home."

Her voice melted me. 

I was mesmerized but I forced my words out.

"I...I can't," I said tears clouding my vision.

"W...why not?"

"Because...my life is here..."

"I can be your life."

Before I could register her words she pulled back, grabbed my face in her hands and pressed her lips passionately against mine. I missed her lips. I felt like I was back in my room, holding her in my arms and being a normal teenager.

Then my father and James roared.

She was knocked down and I screamed.

James grabbed me and made me look at him.

Father attacked Alicia.

I screamed again and he looked up.

She didn't do anything! I was close to breaking down.

Don't you remember what she did to you?! he hissed.

She did it so she could be my life!

We are your life!

I know... my voice turned feeble inside my mind. But she is only fighting for me....

Ro....

Don't Ro me Father! She just wants to be mine! That's all!

Go back to your room, she's fogging up your mind. 

She's not! I can think perfectly fine!

Back. To. Your. Room.

Alicia shifted and her voice came out choked. "Don't...leave me baby girl."

"Why do y'all torture me so much?" I cried into James's arm.

"I just want to love you that's all..."

"You made James kill Derek."

The whole room fell silent.

"What?" My father growled.

"Sir..." James said.

"Seers can't poison people..." my father trailed off.

I looked at James and he winced. "You killed Derek because he was there and you were angry?" It was more of a statement than a question.

"Ro..."

"No, let me go!" I struggled.

"Ro listen--"

"YOU KILLED DEREK!"

"HE WAS GOING TO KILL ME!"

"H-he wouldn't do that."

"He wanted to be the one to take you home and be yours. He was going to kill me so he could have you."

"Y..you lied to me..."

"Ro..."

"Let. Me. Go. Now."

His arms dropped and I looked at Alicia. I'll try baby girl. She nodded as though she read the words in my eyes. I looked at everyone.

Then I ran.