|| 14 ||

Donghyuck's POV:

"Do not touch her."

I felt myself squeeze his wrist a bit, earning a yelp from him, and instead of pulling me away from her boyfriend, Narae only gripped onto my shirt.

"You know what? Fine." The tone in Haneul's voice changed completely, and I saw the veins in his neck disappear slightly before slowly letting his wrist go.

"I won't touch her, because now, we're over." It wasn't the words which had an effect on me but rather the look which flashed across Narae's face, and if I wasn't in front of her, I would've cut his arm off or something.

With one last glare, her now ex boyfriend turned around to leave, and at the same time the door was slammed shut, I turned to look at my best friend who still looked shocked at his words.

"Narae.. Come here." Being in such situation wasn't new for me and my arms were already open when she started letting a few tears leave her eyes, my hand immediately finding its way to her back.

Remembering how Dasom hated when I decided to speak while comforting her, I kept my mouth shut and only rocked her back and forth slightly.

It was a heartbreaking sound which left her as she sobbed.

"Donghyuck, I want to watch a movie." Instead of saying anything, I just nodded and tried my best to walk towards the living room, but it was quite difficult because she kept holding onto my waist.

Finally when we reached the couch and I had gotten her to sit, her sobbing reduced a tiny tiny bit.

"What do you want to watch?" Her shoulders moved up in a shrug as she sat with her legs crossed, her eyes on the TV which only showed a black screen, and I moved closer to her.

My arms moved up to wrap around her shoulder as the opening to whatever movie was in, and I despite the loud chatter from the TV heard her breath shake a little bit.

"You deserve better, you know?"

••

"You deserve better, you know?" At that Dasom only let out another set of sobs as she curled up against my side, and I was relieved that her parents weren't home at the moment as I continued to try and calm her down.

She had gotten rejected by her longtime crush whom she had been close friends with for so long.

Earlier that day she had confessed to him and got turned down in front of the whole class, it must've been humiliating.

"How could he do it so rudely? Like he didn't care at all.." The crack in her voice made my breath stop just a little bit, and instead of hugging her even closer like I wanted to, I only moved my hand up to run it through her hair slightly.

After a few moments with pure sobbing, she asked me a question I would've cringed at if anyone but her asked me it, and I took a deep breath before nodding my head.

"Hyuck, can you sing me a song?"

Other than cringing, I would've laughed the person right in the face if anyone but her asked me that, well, she was the only one whom I had sung in front of.

A quiet sigh left me before I started singing the words to a song, a song she didn't know I could relate to on a whole different level, and as soon as the first words left me, she immediately let her tense body calm down a bit.

"I ride the soft wind into your world.
I go right next to you and you ask where I came from.
You asked so innocently so I answered that it was a secret.
Because if we just walk together like this,
Wherever we go, it'll be heaven"

As I sang for her, I felt like I cradled the world in my arms, a fragile world that I needed to protect..

I failed at that when I fell for her..

••

A small chuckle like sound left the girl who was now leaning against my shoulder and even though the sound was supposed to be one showing happiness, I heard a crack in her voice.

"Thank you, Donghyuck. It still hurts like hell, you know? It must've hurt when you were told that you wouldn't get to see Dasom again." The hoarseness of her voice was rougher than when she had woken up and it just didn't sound like her at all.

She was right though, the only thing wrong about the last statement was that the 'head' angel didn't even tell me I didn't get to see her anymore.

I was simply called in after a normal day, and they took both my wings and my halo.

How hurt Dasom must've been when I didn't show up the next morning, waiting for her by her door.

"Do you want me to sing for you?" Why I asked that I didn't know, but it didn't seem like she was going to calm down anytime soon, and knowing that my voice had that calming affect on Dasom, I wanted to see if it calmed down this girl as well.

"You.. Sing?" At that I nodded my head and she did the same after a few short moments, the movie long forgotten.

Hopefully she wouldn't start asking me to sing everyday or something, or I mean, I wouldn't mind singing for her, I was quite confident about my voice anyways.

"As your guardian angel, I will block out that strong wind.
Even if everyone turns their back against you.
On hard days, I will wipe away your tears.
If only I could be that kind of person.
Wherever we go, it'll be heaven."

Not even one other word did I sing before I felt her relax, and my eyes moved to her face to notice her eyes shut.

"You sing like an angel." A small smile tucked at the corner of her lips before it disappeared again, her breath getting slower, giving it away that she now was asleep, and I could finally sigh out in relief.

That boy, Haneul, he would be crawling back for her and I was going be there.

There was no way I was letting that jerk near my best friend again.