Disturbed spirits

Pt1

As if I care, I nod at my mother's attempt to make me laugh as I'm lost into my phone, something about How hard her life is, is mentioned but I'm clearly not listening.

My step dad is hanging on every word as he Carrys a plate of meat out to the grill, I scrunch my nose as the scent of raw meat hits my nose .

This is our first weekend here, and its seems to be going pretty well. I haven't fought with my annoying step brother Chandler. he hasn't tried to start one.

Which is strange because he's always up for a argument, it's practically his favorite pass time. He gets off on annoying me.

Lately he's been very reserved, wearing lots of sweaters in warm weather. Jumping every time someone or something makes a loud noise. It's A bit concerning for me, Hes never been this way. He's always been the one making the loud noise.

Although I've only known him for a year and half, He's never been much of a shy guy, Him being upset being the only exception.

His dad hasn't really noticed, he's been busy with my mom. I cant really blame them, even though i have issues with my step brother, theyre undeniably perfect for each other. I haven't been able to figure out why he's been so quiet, so jumpy.

He walks into the living room looking like he didn't sleep last night, the ends of his sweater balled up in his fist as he sits down next to me on the couch.

"You okay?" His eyes shot up from his phone as his expression stays the same

"I'm fine"

"You don't look fine"

"Wow why don't you tell me how you really feel"

"I'm just trying to be a good sister and ask my brother if he's  okay, Shoot me"

We both take a break from the pointless argument, looking at the tv for a few seconds

With that I got up and began walking to my bedroom, walking past Chandler's bedroom and down the hall, almost immediately after I get past his door I hear heavy boots walking around inside.

Curiosity killed the cat. Maybe he has a secret girlfriend he sneaks in there?

Inching closer to his door my heart speeds up for some reason, grabbing the knob I begin to turn it to open

I feel a hand grab me and pull me backwards spinning me around to find Chandler's petrified face

"Please dont go in there"

"Who is she Carlton" i wiggle my eyebrow at him, he hates it when I call him that

His middle name is his pet peeve, I fortunately happen to know that.

"Its not what you think (y/n)" So I'm guessing he had a girl over, but it's not like it would be unlike him to do such things.

"See I think it's exactly what I think it is, at first I was kinda concerned at your behavior but now I know it-"

I casually open the door, revealing a man towering over the both of us with Louisville slugger over his shoulder, wrapped in barbed wire.

"Get your shittin pants ready darlin"

That's the last thing I remember before hitting the hardwood floor of the hallway, and everything blacked out.

I woke up a hours later, on my bed with Chandler's in the corner on my computer

Casually playing Agar.io as if we don't have a madman in his room with a weapon

"Who the hell is that in there?!" I jump up from my bed, slamming my laptop closed demanding answers from my step brother. In the action of doing so he jumps

"I dunno some kinda demon or something he never let's me sleep he's always swinging that damned bat around calling it Lucille"

he rants as he runs his fingers through his messy hair "you don't understand what it does to a person I haven't slept much"

He behind pacing my room "and when I do i have nightmares"

"Not really sure what to say, thought this only happens in movies and books"

"I know right I mean it does look like murder on ahs, but I didn't expect this man" he lights a cigarette "sorry dude I'm stressed"

Scrunching my nose as I open my window, I give him a look of disapprovement.

"Can he leave your room?"

"I don't think so, he comes and goes sometimes I try to act as if he's not there but it never works"

rubbing his eyes I notice how relaxed he seems, he's been on edge since we moved in at the beginning of the week.

So that's what? An entire week of shitty sleep? He should be smelling colors right about now.

"hey Chan?" My facial expressions soften as he makes eye contact with me, exhaustion clear to see

"Do you wanna maybe sleep in here with me? We can figure something out tomorrow"

He glances at my twin sized bed and back at me, Before putting his cigarette out on my desk

Making me cringe, I guess he's acting like himself again? Good?

He climbs up closer to the headboard before cuddling one of my pillows tightly

I walk over to my bedside table to switch off my lamp but he grabs my wrist

"Lights on"

"Okay" without much of anymore conversation I slide under the covers as I settle in for the night

"are you okay now? Because I know it must be so hard for you, we're in a new town new people and th"

My heartfelt speech was interrupted by the sound of Chandlers snores coming from the right side of my bed.

"you're ok"

I stayed awake for an hour, on my phone reading. I cant seem to get my mind off things

no matter how wild a story is it wont measure up to the Freddy Krueger in Chandlers room.

After a while of tossing and turning I feel him shift, facing me

"Have you slept any?" the boy questions without opening his eyes

I can tell he's still half asleep

"How'd you know I was awake?" He lays his hand on my knee, beginning to rub it

"I just did" he wraps his arm around me before falling asleep as I lay there curious to what's happening, why hes even acting like this.