Chapter 1

The day was gloomy. The afternoon sky was dull - yet there was no sign of it raining. Or maybe it was just how the two travellers felt and it was impacting their views of the day. Looking down at the map in his hands, Charles D'artagnan checked for the third time that he was leading them in the right direction like his father had taught them both when he was young; next to the man was his little sister, Kayley D'artagnan. It was three O clock in the afternoon. The siblings were saddled on their horses, riding to Paris. Why, you ask?? A week ago, their father - Alexander D'artagnan - was murdered by a small group of thieving bandits; they were instantly caught by the siblings, thanks to the people of Gascony pointing the three killers, and was hung for their crimes. The was no trial as the stupid bandits had attacked in broad day light in a very publish area of town!! Now Alexander's farm had been passed down to his children, yet they both knew it wouldn't bring in enough income for them to survive; thankfully, their father had planned out what they were to do in this type of situation. The brother and sister were to travel to Paris and search for their Uncle Treville who would help them with their predicament; he wasn't their Uncle by blood but he and their father used to be the bets of friends - so close that they saw one another as brothers.  Treville used to visit them a lot until life as the Captain of the musketeers became too busy for him to leave - unless it was for a mission of course; they hadn't seen him for over seven years. "Well it's official, we're out of food" Kayley informed as she looked through her bag; her brother send her a smile "oh well, we'll be arriving in Paris within an hours ride anyway".  The two fell into a comfortable silence as they continued the path they were on "Uncle Treville will be surprised to see us" the fourteen year old stated, smiling at the memory of the man; her brother agreed of course "....I'm not looking forward to telling him about father though" D'artagnan stated "they were great friends...brothers even". Signing, the girl patted the man on his shoulder "I know...but someone has to".

The two spoke about a multiple of things - what they were going to do for money became the most popular conversation. "I'll see if I can work in one of the taverns" Kayley told her twenty two year old disapproving brother; he didn't like that plan one bit!! "I don't know if that's a good idea Kayley" he voiced his thoughts, earning an eye roll from the teenager "come on D'artagnan, I'll be fine" she reassured "besides, it not like we really have a choice, we need money to get by and we're running out" she was right of course. Smirking, Kayley thought of something "and if anything happens, it's not like I can't protect myself, I am still better with a sword then yourself" this time, it was D'artagnan's turn to roll his eyes "I'm still getting better though". Chuckling, his sister agreed with him "true, but you still can't beat me in a duel" she teased; the two laughed as the man playfully shoved the girls shoulder. Within an hours time, the siblings reached Paris; they had never been anywhere other than Gascony so they were easily amazed. "Easy Sam, easy" Kayley gently patted her horse on the neck, trying to calm him down "Sam okay??" D'artagnan asked as he cast the two a look of concern; the fourteen year old sent her brother a smile of reassurance "he's fine, just not used to this big of crowds" she informed as she stroked her friends mane. They eventually found a rent out horse stable, gave the keeper some money and handed their animal companions over before venturing deeper into the town of Paris in order to find their Uncle.

At the Garrison, musketeers and cadets were all doing their things - either duelling one another, watching the training or eating at the tables and talking. Three certain musketeers were all sat at a table, eating some bread as they watched the cadets train and discussed a multiple of things. Captain Treville could be seen leaving his office, making his way down the stairs before approaching the musketeers "they're training is improving" the older man admitted; the dynamic duo agreed "indeed Captain". They all watched the duel until one of the men won; they all clapped, a sign of pride for both cadets who shook hands. "So Captain, have any work for us??" Aramis asked as he turned towards the older man; he shook his head "no, which is a god thing" he added "it means there are no idiots going around harming people". Just as he finished that sentence, a young man and an even younger girl could be seen entering the Garrison; the three musketeers and their Captain turn towards them. Treville instantly realised who the visitors were and was extremely surprised but kept quiet as he remembered a little ritual he and the two had when meeting one another. "Can we help you??" Athos asked, but he received no reply as the two remained silent, staring at their Captain. All of a sudden, the man raised his arm up, a gun held tightly within his grasp; all eyes widened as the weapon was aimed at Treville. Every single cadet had halted their actions as soon as the gun was drawn; no one moved and most held their breath in anticipation.  All eyes were wide, yet Treville seemed unfazed. Nothing could be heard but the distance noises of the town....until the strangers and their Captain began to grin and laugh?? The young girl raced up to the man as she exclaimed "Uncle Treville!!" she threw her arms around him, practically jumping at him; Treville easily caught the teenager as he chuckled, returning the embrace happily. The other visitor lowered the gun and returned the weapon to its holster before following the girl to greet the much older man properly. The three musketeers watched with wide and confused eyes "uncle?!" Porthos couldn't help but repeat the word - did he hear her right?? The look on his brother-in-arms faces said his ears worked perfectly. "Kayley!! D'artagnan!!" Treville smile as the three embraced one another "what on earth are you two doing here??" he asked; a look of realisation washed over the two siblings faces as they shared a knowing glance. "Em...could we talk somewhere more private??" D'artagnan asked, earning a nod "of course, follow me" the Captain led his guests up the stairs and into his office. As soon as the door closed, the cadets continued with their day - although they were still extremely confused; the three musketeers were still frozen from shock "since when did Treville have a niece or nephew?! Or siblings for that matter?!" Porthos wondered, only to receive two shrugs. 

Inside the closed office, Treville lent against his desk "so what brings you both to Paris?? And where's your father, Alexander??" he asked with a smile; the brother and sister shared a look of sorrow, instantly making the mans expression fall. "That's the think...Uncle Treville....Papa was killed a week ago" Kayley gently explained; the Captain's eyes widened momentarily before he sighed - he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "W...what?! How?!" D'artagnan spoke up, explaining how the three bandits had tried to rob him "they didn't get away with it though, were hung three days ago for what they had done" he added. At least they had justice...but it didn't bring their father back, now did it?? "Oh my....are you two alright??" Treville asked, as if he had forgotten that they were Alexander's kids; the two shrugged "as good as can be". Hesitantly, Kayley spoke once again "the thing is...Papa always told us to come find you if anything were to ever happen to him...so we did" the older man nodded, agreeing with his friends advise "I'm glad you did, that farm of yours won't earn enough for both of you".  Treville sighed as he rubbed his forehead "I'll give you enough money to be able to stay at one of the local Inns" he stated, to himself and the siblings "you can get your food here at the Garrison of course, did you travel here on horse back??" Kayley nodded "right, then your horses can stay in the stables here as well" the brother and sister smiled at the man. "Thank you Uncle Treville, we'll pay you back as soon as we can" D'artagnan promised, only for the Captain to shake his head "don't bother" he reassured "your father saved my life more times then I can count when we were young, making sure you two are okay is the least I can do" he embraced the two tightly "now why don't you both go grab something to eat and drink whilst I get your money for the Inn??" it was more of an order then a suggestion or question. Still, the two siblings nodded and left the office "thanks again Uncle".

The three musketeers glanced up as they heard the door the their Captain's office once again open to reveal the two siblings walk out and down the stairs; they made their way over to the table that held the food. They grabbed a small portion each before taking a seat at one of the tables on the far side of the Garrison "well....let's go make some new friends, shall we gentlemen??" Aramis asked; he and his two friends stood from their places before walking over. Both brother and sister looked up from one another, slightly startled, as the bench on the other side of the table was suddenly full of musketeers "em...hello??" the girl was the first the speak; Aramis sent her a grin "hello madam, my name is Aramis, these are my two friends Porthos and Athos" the two said their greetings. "What might your name be??" the girl sent them a smile as she introduced her self "I'm Kayley D'artagnan, and this is my brother Charles D'artagnan" they shook hands "although he goes by our last name". Porthos spoke up "I didn't know the Captain had a niece or nephew??" he questioned; D'artagnan explained "technically he doesn't, he's not our uncle by blood" he grinned "our father was Treville's best friend growing up, so he's like an uncle to us". Well that explained that and made much more sense "ohhhh".

Looking out from his window, Treville chuckled at who the brother and sister were sat with; he couldn't hold back his eye roll and small smile. "Out of everyone in the Garrison, it had to be those three" he mumbled to himself fondly.