Chapter 5

Once their horses were ready, the six began their ride to the Palace. Within ten minutes, they reached the beautiful home of the royal family, handed over their horses to the care of the stable boys before all six entered the large building. Treville led them through many hallways until they arrived at the throne room; they each stopped and bowed before the King and Queen. "Your majesties" they greeted respectfully; the King spoke up, a fond smile appearing on his face "it's good to see you again musketeers, I expect you've been been hard at work??" he asked earning three confident nods. The ruler stood from his throne and approached the group, walking passed the the musketeers and their Captain until he haltered in front of the siblings. "I've never seen either of you before, so I'll take it you're Treville's niece and nephew??" Louis asked earning two nods "yes your majesties, Uncle Treville is our uncle by all but blood" the man confirmed, followed by his sister "my name is Kayley D'artagnan and this is my brother, Charles D'artagnan" she introduced "although he goes by our last name". Smiling, the Queen spoke up "I never knew that Treville had any family outside of the musketeers" she stated; her husband seemed to notice Kayley's appearance "please take no offence to this, but what are you wearing child??". All of the musketeers, including their Captain and D'artagnan, forced themselves to not wince, curse or widen their eyes - they each already knew how much Kayley despised being called a 'child'. Surprisingly, the girl sent the ruler a smile - a sign she took no offence "my Papa owned a farm which didn't bring in very much income your majesty" she explained "whatever money we made went to food, the farm and keeping a roof over our heads, so having nice clothes was out of the question" it clearly confused them all as D'artagnan's clothes were quite well fitted. Upon hearing this, the Queen rose to her feet "well then, we can't have that now, can we??" she smiled "come, we'll get you something new to wear" upon hearing this, Kayley's face seemed to light up - it was both adorable and heartbreaking. "Really?!" the fourteen year old asked without thinking, unable to shake the shock; Anne just chuckled as she nodded "really, come along" doing as told, the girl followed the Queen out of the door.

Once the two females were gone, the King turned towards his musketeers "I'll take it Treville told you that I wished to speak with you??" he asked earning four nods; D'artagnan kept quiet as he wasn't a musketeer "good, the Queen of England has sent me an important letter, informing me that a mass murderer has escaped one of her prisons and has entered France". They could already see where this was going "this man is only known as Killian" he informed; Athos spoke up "and you want us to find and bring him here??" he asked earning a nod "exactly". Next to speak was Porthos as a question appeared in his mind "if you won't mind your majesty, but could D'artagnan and Kayley assist us with this mission??" he asked; Louis sent them, once again, a confused look as D'artagnan's eyes widened momentarily - what was the bear like man doing?! "I suppose they could" the King allowed "but why would you want a young girl on the mission as well?? Won't she just get in the way??" he asked; they each mentally laughed before Aramis stepped in "Kayley is much more than just your average young girl your majesty". This statement interested their ruler greatly "really?? How so??" he asked, wondering what could make his musketeers say this "Kayley is well skilled with a sword, in fact she is probably one of the most skilled within the entire regiment" the gun man explained "she even beat Athos in a duel this morning during training". Now that did surprise his majesty!! "It is true sir, I saw this duel with my own eyes" Treville confirmed; Louis hummed in acknowledgement "okay then" he spoke "if D'artagnan and Kayley wish to join you on this mission, then they may go" they each smiled "thank you your majesty".

With the Queen, she and Kayley had arrived at the royal clothes maker - Rosa's office. "Good morning Rosa" Anne greeted happily "I need you to find something for Kayley here" the elder eoman bowed before her Queen as she nodded "of course your majesty". Rosa began by taking the teenagers measurements whilst Anne sat down and watched "so tell me Kayley, why do you carry around weapons??" she asked, referring to the girls sword and gun of which she had placed to the side; Kayley smiled as she held still for the fitting "well...because I use them" it was as simple as that really. And yet, it seemed to amaze the Queen "really?! So you know how to use both a sword and a gun??" she asked in disbelief, earning a nod and chuckle "yes, most think I carry them for my brother or to make myself come across as tough, it's rather amusing actually". the elder clothes maker finished with the measurements and vanished into the back of the room where all of the clothes were "how did you learn to fight then??" Anne asked, completely interested in knowing more about the girl before her "my Papa taught both my brother and I, although he wished for me to be like any normal girl, I just loved the look of fighting" she smiled at the memories "once he knew he wasn't going to win, Papa decided to train me just like my brother". Her father had put of teaching his daughter the ways of a sword for a multiple of months, hoping she would lose interest or move onto something else, yet that never happened; he couldn't deny her for much longer after coming to the realisation. Although many arguments were had within that time. "I even beat Athos today in a duel" upon hearing this, Anne's eyes widened in shock "you...you beat Athos?!...One of the King's musketeers...in a duel?!" she asked, unable to process it; Kayley nodded with a small laugh "yeah, but it was a difficult fight" she added "it could have gone either way really". Finally, Rosa returned with her hands full "I have the perfect thing for you!!" she exclaimed happily; they smiled before the elder woman dragged Kayley behind the curtains to try on her new clothes. A few minutes later and the girl walked out looking new as can be...mostly anyway; the Queen was more than pleased of course.

"You've out done yourself once again Rosa" Anne smiled before turning towards the teenager "what do you think Kayley??" she asked excitedly; the girl stared at herself in the body length mirror "I look

"You've out done yourself once again Rosa" Anne smiled before turning towards the teenager "what do you think Kayley??" she asked excitedly; the girl stared at herself in the body length mirror "I look...good" she stated in amazement "I love it!!". Both older women cheered at her reaction, feeling very proud of themselves "thank you Rosa, and thank you your majesty" they each smiled "it was my pleasure" Rosa patted the girl on the shoulder before hurrying to finish what she was previously doing. Anne led the now well dressed teenager out of the room and back towards the throne room; they were about to enter when Kayley paused at the door. The Queen looked over at her in confusion, asking her what was wrong "I've never had...good clothes before" she explained; the woman now understood - the fourteen year old felt insecure as she had never wore anything as nice or new as what she had on. Placing a hand her shoulder, Anne sent the teen a gentle smile "Kayley, you are a beautiful young girl, inside and out" she insisted "whether you're wearing the most expensive clothes or the dirtiest rags, that does not change". Looking up from her fidgeting hands, the fourteen year old held a small grin "thank you your majesty" the woman shook her head "nonsense, call me Anne" she insisted earning a nod; the two finally entered the throne room. A soon as the six men caught sight of the young girl, their eyes widened "K...Kayley??" D'artagnan could barely speak whilst the others complimented her "you look like a true beauty" Athos smiled, followed by his two brother-in-arms -  "a flower in bloom" and "look absolutely gorgeous kid". Each statement made Kayley's cheeks turn a light shade of pink, yet she couldn't control the grin that formed upon her face "thank you". Treville pulled the teenager into a tight embrace and kissed her forehead "you look incredible sweetie" he smiled, showing everyone an entirely different side of himself; D'artagnan followed his uncles actions, hugging his little sister "I...I have no words" he stated, a few tears forming  in his eyes. Smirking, Kayley teased him "don't get all emotional on me now" they chuckled as the two parted; the King made the last generous comment before returning to the topic of the mission. "You leave as soon as possible" Louis instructed "I wish you all good luck and hope to see you in a few days time" and with that, they bowed and left the throne room for the stables.