Chapter 24

The distraught captain and musketeers were somehow able to escort D'artagnan into the office; the poor man couldn't stop sobbing his heart out, now into his lover's chest. "This...this is impossible!!" Porthos exclaimed "Kayley couldn't just die!! She's a better musketeer than all of us combined!!" he wasn't wrong; Treville sighed as he rubbed his forehead "I know...but the King and Queen wouldn't lie" he had to think logically "and Kayley...she'd be back by now" neither of them could believe or accept it. Speaking through his cries, D'artagnan's emotional voice could be heard "she...she died alone...we weren't with her" that was all he managed to get out before breaking down again; his boyfriend tightened his hold on the man as he attempted to calm the once again sobbing man "shh...deep breaths love..." the only problem was, he had no idea how to comfort his lover in this situation. It appeared word had spread extremely fast through out the town of Paris. Within an hour, near to all of the citizens were morning for their female musketeer; Constance sound herself crying into her husband's shoulder as he attempted to comfort her "she was too young!!" she sobbed out. The locals at the Tavern all had a drink on the girl, remembering all of the times she helped them since she and her brother had arrived in Paris in search for their uncle. Of course, the Red Guards were delighted, celebrating the young musketeer's death as if it was a victory.

Eventually, they knew what they needed to do. The musketeers saddled up and rode on to the Palace, their captain leading the way as they each remained silent; D'artagnan had managed to force his tears to stop, though he was unsure for how long he could keep that up. They handed their horses over to the stable boys who kept their heads lowered before the five entered the Palace, eventually arriving to their destination to see the King and Queen talking by the thrones - two maids were knelt on the floor, seeming to be scrubbing a red liquid up off of the floor in the middle of the large room. Blood. "Musketeers" Louis greeted them, earning five bows "I'll take you are here about Kayley??" he asked, though he didn't really need to. Still, they each nodded before Aramis spoke up "how...how did she die??" he asked; the Queen began to explain what they wished to know "we were talking to Kayley about an upcoming mission when a man barged his way in here and pulled out a gun" they listened closely "he aimed it at myself so Kayley jumped in front of me as she drew her own gun before shooting him dead" she paused "but...the man had already pulled the trigger so....the bullet hit Kayley in the chest....she was gone within seconds". None of them could believe it. Hesitant, D'artagnan spoke up "did she....did she die alone??" he asked "was....was she scared??" it broke all of their hearts to hear him as such questions; Anne approached him and took his hands in her own "no D'artagnan, as soon as it happened, both Louis and myself were by her side" she informed, hoping it was reassuring at least a little bit "she wasn't scared...but she wished for you to remember her as the first female musketeer...and you loving sister" she looked up to the other three musketeers "she wanted you all to remember as such". Once again, D'artagnan felt tears force themselves to form in his eyes; the Queen embraced him "she was so brave....and proud she could at least die doing what she loved". 

Not needing to hear anymore, Treville and the musketeers took their leave before making their way back to the stables; something caught Porthos's eye, however, from behind the stables. Confused, he caught the attention of one of the stable boys "excuse me" the young boy smiled at the bear like man "why are there many horses behind the stable?? And not in the stable itself??" he asked; the boy frowned "what??" he hurried to see this for himself. "What the?! I...I don't know whose horses these belong to" he stated, scratching the top of his head; Treville looked at the saddles, startled by what he found "back to the King and Queen!! Now!!" he ordered before beginning to run back to where they had just come from; the four confused and concerned musketeers did as told, asking what was wrong "those saddle held many weapons and some gun powder!!" was all their captain would say. "Your majesties!!" they exclaimed as they burst through the doors to the throne room, startling the royal couple in the process rather clearly "musketeers?? I thought you had left??" Louis asked; both he and his wife managed to calm their beating hearts "we were leaving sire, but we discovered some horses hidden from the stable boys which held many weapons and some gun powder" Athos explained. This didn't sound good as the royals shared a look of worry "and you think??" Anne asked; D'artagnan spoke to explain their theory "we believe that someone with an intention to harm you both have managed to sneak into the Palace". This really wasn't good!! The King seemed to think the same thing as his wife "right then" he turned to his musketeers "you must stand guard outside of the throne room, that was no one will be able to enter" he ordered; the four musketeers shared a look as Treville sent Louis a raised brow - they did as told as....they didn't exactly have a choice in the matter. "Why are we standing guard out here??" Porthos asked once they closed the door "surely it would be sager if we were in there with them??" his friends agreed, but their captain sighed "it indeed would, but we have our orders" he didn't understand it himself to be honest. All of a sudden, whilst they were stood guarding the door, a cloak figure could be seen running around one of the corners down the hallway "hey!! Get back here!!" Aramis yelled, but whoever it was refused to listen "go after them!!" Treville ordered "Porthos and I will stay here" and with that, Athos, D'artagnan and Aramis sprinted away.