Chapter 16

Author's Note: just a quite warning that there are mentions of rape in this chapter.

The next day arrived far too soon. It war nearing the time for the competition and so the musketeers, their two friends and the cadets all made their way towards the Palace where the competition would be taking place. The three musketeers and D'artagnan were still grumbling about what Treville had done - making them compete against one another, only to choice himself as the champion!! "I still can't believe he did that to us, after we all found the money" Porthos mumbled as they entered the royal gardens; his lover agreed while Kayley shrugged with a sigh "he wouldn't have done it if he didn't have some sort of good reason" she defended - neither one of them, including the cadets, could disagree with her - didn't make it feel better though. They arrived to see many seated guests, as well as the King, the Queen and the Cardinal sat across from the guests - the fight would take place in the middle; the Red Guards were stood on the far side whilst the musketeers and cadets waited on the last free side - Treville entered the tent that was set up for him and began to prepare himself. He stretched, had a drink of water and practices a few moves - for the duel, he was obviously allowed his sword, but he was also allowed to use a dagger. "I wonder who he'll be duelling??" Athos wondered, glancing over the crowded Red Guards to see who wouldn't be fighting - whoever the Cardinal had picked was in their own tent, doing the same as Treville. Finally, the man who would be hosting the competition stepped into the middle of the area as he spoke in a clear and loud voice "the musketeers champion, the famous warrior" he gave quite the built up "Captain Treville!!" everyone, minus the Red Guards of course, clapped as the man exited the tent, making his way into the fighting area. The musketeers over heard the King say something about how his "old fox will see of the Cardinal's man, yet the leader of the Red Guard's didn't look too sure from what Kayley could see. The Queen noticed the teenager of course and sent her a kind smile, along with a small, nearly unnoticeable wave; the fourteen year old returned the sweet gesture, returning the wave by bowing her head slightly. He attention returned the the host as he continued to speak "and representing the Red Guard, their champion" he announced "Captain LaBarge!!". Once again, claps could be heard from all but the musketeers, the siblings and cadets, as said man left his own tent and joined Treville and the host. 

The musketeers shared a look with one another, as well as the brother and sister, as none of them could believe what they were hearing or seeing; D'artagnan felt himself become furious "is this some sort of sick joke??" he mumbled. Aramis took note of something as he glanced towards their captain....who seemed rather calm "the captain isn't' surprised" he point out; they all looked towards Treville, onto to agree with the gunman - Porthos stated what they were all coming to understand "he knew". The King seemed just as surprised as he questioned his Cardinal "well...this is highly irregular" he pointed out "shouldn't he be locked in his cell?? The one both the Red Guards and musketeers escorted him to only yesterday??" he asked; The Cardinal sent his majesty a smile "oh I'm a great believer in rehabilitation your sire" he explained, lying through his teeth "LaBarge is now a commissioned officer in the Red Guards". Returning their attention to the host, the man explained how the shooting and wrestling rounds had been waves "the contest will be settled in favour of the superior swordsmen" he left the fighting area as he did not wished to be harmed before declaring they could being. From the very beginning, the duel wasn't fair - LaBarge made sure of that; he made moves that were clearly against the rules - the King even pointed it out. However, Treville was able to hold up his own - he wasn't a war hero and the captain of the musketeers for nothing after all....but with the rule breaking - and possibly bone breaking - moves that LaBarge was performing, he was soon seen being forced to the floor before yelling out in pain as a foot came down upon his chest. That was it. Neither the musketeers, the siblings or the cadets were going to stand still and do nothing; they matched into the fighting area to help their captain as they readied their weapons "LaBarge!!" D'artagnan glared as he called for his enemies attention - the Red Guards did the same so that they could fight against them. A multiple of duels broke out, but before anyone was hurt or killed, the King rose from his seat "enough!!" he yelled; all action halted as the guards and musketeers parted. The Cardinal smirked, thinking he had won....until Louis spoke once again "your man broke the rules Cardinal" he stated before turning towards Treville - Athos had helped him up to his feet as he clutched his chest "Treville may pick someone of his choosing to take his place".