Chapter 19

A long and boring two weeks had passed by for Kayley; her brother and three friends had made sure she did near to nothing as she healed, much to her annoyance. She wasn't allowed to train, go riding,  clean the stables or go for walks on her own!! She was honestly surprised they even let her leave her room!! Constance supported them, though allowed the teenager to stay with her through out some of her days at the Inn what the musketeers were driving her crazy. And Treville...well he just stood by and watched with an amused smirk. Kayley had sneaked away with Sam and rode up to the Palace where Rosa had her change into her new clothes; she had worn her old clothes until then. It was a beautiful dark blue dress with light blue sewn patterns - it was cut off at her knees in the front whilst it fell to the middle of her calf at the back; the sleeves were quarter length. Along with the dress, Rosa had a pair of brown boots made, a cloak which matched the musketeers and allowed her to pick a bunch of ribbons for her hair. To top it off, she also handed the girl a large bag which contained two pairs of trousers, a white woman's shirt that could be mistaken for the style of a mans and another dress which was quite like the first one, but it was red and had shorter sleeves that just covered her shoulders. Over all, Kayley couldn't thank the woman enough, or the Queen. To her dismay, she had been greeted by four worry ran musketeers as she left the Palace; they had escorted her back to the Inn where they basically ordered to see her in each outfit - she complied as she did too. When she was allowed at the Garrison - after swearing to never run off again - the cadets spent some time with her too which was enjoyable - they had really taken a liking to the teenager; they hated that she wasn't allowed to train them, though the girl would watch them during their training time and make helpful comments. She managed to - though she in unsure how -  reduce the time to two months as the four musketeers had plans to keep her "resting" for at least a month!! Not. A. Chance!! Thankfully, Treville seemed to have her back with that, as did all of the cadets. Finally, her stitches were removed by Aramis who seemed pleased with her healed injury; they gave her their permission to begin training which she instantly did. Those before any of them could do as they pleased, everyone in the Garrison was ordered to be at the Palace for five O clock that day - even the cadets. 

This leads us to the present time. In the throne room, a large crowd had gathered - noblemen and their wives, people that worked at the Palace and the musketeer regiment, along with the royal couple stood in front of them all happily. Even some of the towns people were there!! The Cardinal was stood a few feet away from them, wondering what this was all about; it was rare something was arranged and he had no input in its planning - this worried him. "I have summoned you all here so that you may all witness a moment that will change history" the King began, confusing and intrigued everyone in the large room "just two weeks ago, a very trusted maid turned against us and attempted to kill you beloved Queen" all who were unaware of this gasped in horror and shock, some eyes even widening "thankfully, our musketeers were here to protect us, along with a very brave and extremely selfless young girl known as Kayley D'artagnan". Some eyes turned to the shocked girl who's attention just spiked up to a hundred - what was happening?? Even she didn't know. The guests smiled as the Queen spoke up "Kayley saved my life that day, risking her own" she turned towards the surprised and confused teenager and sent her a gentle smile "my dear friend, you nearly died protecting me, even though my life was not yours to protect and save". The young girl bowed her head as she returned the smile easily "I just did what I had to do you majesty" this was very reassuring and proud to hear; the King grinned "for your brave and selfless actions Kayley, I would like you to kneel before me" he instructed. It seemed Treville and his musketeers understood what was about to happen, as did the cadets and some of the guests as gasps could he heard; the Cardinal could be seen shocked by what he was witnessing before holding back his glares. Taking a deep breath, the fourteen year old did as ordered; she made her way over and fell to one knee as she continued to take silent, deep and slow breaths. As she did this, Louis drew his sword "you, Kayley D'artagnan, are hear by known as one of the King's musketeers" he announced; her eyes widened in shock as her breath was caught in the back of her throat "may you fight with the honour, bravery and selflessness I witnessed the day you protected and saved my Queen". Athos walked forward and attached the shoulder guard for her - the musketeers symbolised uniform!! And it was navy blue - one of her favourite colours; probably thanks to the Anne.