Chapter 23

The four musketeers left the mansion as soon as the teenager ran out to them and began to walk towards the main dirt road - Porthos and Aramis were in charge of keeping the prisoner under control. After a few hours, they eventually noticed someone in the distance, travelling on horse back - they had many bags attached to their saddle, as well a few other horses following them. Upon taking a better look at whoever was making their way towards the walking group, they came to realise it was their fellow musketeer - D'artagnan; he must have finished gathering their things from the make-shift campsite and was on his way to find them. "Hey, you lot alright??" he asked as he handed their belongings over to the correct person, along with their horses; they all hopped up onto their saddles - Russo was forced to share with Porthos, still tied up and weaponless "we're fine" Athos reassured "what about you?? Run into any trouble??" he asked. Once they were each satisfied that all went okay and well, they began to continue their journey to Paris "we should arrive back in Paris within a day and half ride" Aramis stated; his boyfriend was indeed to pleased to hear this "good, I need a drink from the Tavern" this earned a chuckle from his friends, though they couldn't say they disagreed with the bear like man. "Same old Porthos" Kayley chuckled.

The journey back to Paris was, surprisingly, a peaceful one. Unlike their first mission together with capturing Killian, Russo was rather silent and never attempted to escape - not even once!! Although it was appreciated, Kayley couldn't help but feel suspicious as to why he wouldn't try to get away from his captures. Finally, the musketeers found themselves trotting through the gates to the Garrison where they saw the cadets training - they were practising what the fourteen year old musketeer had last taught them. Thankfully, three of the cadets who were bust cleaning the stables offered to take their horses before the five musketeers and their prisoner made a B line for the captain's office. Knocking on the door, they heard the room's owner call out to them "enter!!" they did just that before closing the door after them; Treville was surprised to see his musketeer back so soon, especially with the man he assumed to be the spy. "Welcome back musketeers" he greeted kindly as he stood from his desk before setting his eyes on their tied up prisoner "I'll take it this is Russo Calri??" he asked earning a multiple of nods. Kayley explained what had happened - from her brothers being attacked and captured to her finding and saving them from the forty masked men. "Good work, all of you" the older man praised, proud of his musketeers "I'll take Russo to the cells myself, you lot are free for the rest of the day" he allowed; they thanked their captain before they parted after leaving his office. As the five friends walked through the streets of Paris, Porthos suggested they go to the Tavern for some drinks; they all agreed, except Kayley who yawned for the fifth time "maybe later, all I want right now is to take a good nap" she stated. The men asked if she would join them later on, to which she wasn't too sure about as she was really tired from the stressful mission - she said she'd sleep on it before making her way back to the Inn "well it looks like it's just us" D'artagnan smirked as they entered the Tavern and ordered their drinks before beginning a card game - Porthos insisted of course. "I'm glad Kayley's okay now" Athos stated, referring to how she was at the beginning of their mission; his boyfriend and friends couldn't agree more "I didn't like her giving us the cold shoulder" Porthos added. None of them did.

The next day soon arrived. All of the male musketeer's were still in bed by nine O clock whilst Kayley was up, ready and training at the Garrison after eating some breakfast; she wasn't as tired as her brother's anymore due to going to bed early. "Kayley!!" Treville called out for his niece "a letter has arrived for you!!" this confused the teenager as she never received letters; she paused her training as she approached her uncle and took the offered envelope, wondering who could have sent it and for what reason. Once the letter was open, she came to realise the answers to her questions "it's from the Queen" she informed the musketeer captain before reading on "she needs me down at the Palace, says she wants to discuss something with me". Nodding, Treville told her to saddle up and go "I'll tell the other's when they get their lazy arses out of bed" they both chuckled before the fourteen year old did as told; she attached her weapons to her belt, sliding her dagger into the side of her boot before preparing Sam for riding. Hopping up and onto his back, the horse began to gallop though the town of Paris until they eventually arrived at the Palace; the stable boy happily took Sam as the girl entered the large and grand building, walking through the many hallways until she reached the Queen's quarters....but no one was there?? Looking around, Kayley noticed a note addressed to her lay on the table where she and Anne sometimes sat to drink, eat and talk with one another. Inspecting the note further, it read for the girl to go to the throne room - this was new as she only went to the throne room when she was with her brothers and/or uncle to meet with both the King and Queen. Never the less, the teenager turned on her heels and began to make her way to the ordered location where she indeed saw Anne waiting for her...with the husband?? Bowing respectfully, Kayley greeted the royal couple "your majesties" the king greeting was returned of course before they got straight to business "I received your letter, what do you wish to speak to me about??" the fourteen year old was extremely curious at this point as to what was so urgent, yet she was to come to the Palace alone. King Louis escorted his wife and his youngest musketeer to a small table that seemed to be waiting for them; they sat down, the couple next to one another as Kayley sat across from them before the explanation began. "I found a letter earlier this morning" the King began "it had some form of a....plot on it" he seemed to choose his words carefully; the word "plot" already had the musketeer concerned and alert "may I see this letter??" she asked. Pulling a folded piece of paper from his pocket, Louis handed it over; Kayley gladly and politely took the letter before reading it. It appeared he was correct. The context of the letter explained a plan of some sorts to kidnap the Queen and hide her away - whether it was for ransom or to kill her?? It didn't say. Looking back to the worried couple, Kayley handed the piece of paper back "hmmm" she hummed as she thought about what she should do "shall I inform the other musketeers of this threat??" she asked. Before either the King or Queen could answer, the door to the empty throne room - minus themselves of course - began to open.

Back at the Garrison, the musketeers had finally risen from their beds and joined the land of the living; they enjoyed some breakfast before begin their daily training - their captain had informed them of the young girl's whereabouts upon hearing Athos ask if any of them had seen her that morning. Treville watched his musketeers duel until he noticed a man enter the Garrison, a letter in hand; he stood from his seat and met the messenger by the gates where the envelope was handed over - he pulled out a few gold coins and gave them to the man as a tip before they parted. Upon opening and reading the letter, the captain's face drained of colour as his heart sunk with a thud. The musketeers noticed the clear negative change in the man, watching in confusion until the older man fall against the brick wall in horror "captain!?" they called out to him in worry. Treville looked over to the four men, his eyes landing on D'artagnan - his heart broke even more at the sight of his nephew "I...I'm sorry D'artagnan" was all he could say; this didn't help their confusion or growing worry "sorry?? For what??" the young man asked. Hesitantly handing the letter over, Treville repeated his words as his nephew took the offered piece of paper and read it; his face paled as tears filled his eyes "no...no!!!" he screamed out - this startled everyone within the Garrison, halting them of their actions and jobs as they stopped to see what was happening to earn such a hurt and pained yell. His three close brother-in-arms exchanged worried looks as their concern continued to rise up. Treville pushed himself away from the wall as he pulled his nephew into a tight embrace, though the now sobbing D'artagnan attempted to get out of it - pushing and hitting against the older man until he eventually completed broke down; he gripped onto his uncle as if he was the only one who was keeping him from disappearing. His legs gave way as he cried as screamed into Treville's shoulder; his captain guided them both down to the ground as he held the poor man. Seeing the letter that caused such reactions on the floor by the two distressed men, Athos picked it up and read it; he felt tears form in his eyes "no....oh Kayley, no" he sighed out as he rubbed a hand down his face. Hearing their friend say the teenagers name, both Aramis and Porthos became even more worried and couldn't take it anymore "what is it Athos??" the bear like man asked, though he and his boyfriend actually feared the hear the answer. Athos looked around at his surroundings to see all of the cadets staring at them, also waiting for the terrifying answer "...it's Kayley...she's been....been declared dead after saving the Queen from an assassin".