Chapter 26

The next day arrived far too soon. Kayley was pulling on her boots when the door to her rented room opened; she looked up to see the other four musketeers - D'artagnan had moved his things into his boyfriend's room the previous day, allowing his sister to have a room to herself. It was even bigger now that Constance had had the spare bed removed. The five friends happily greeted one another as the teenager stood from her bed and attached her belt to her waist, adding her sword afterwards "ready go to??" Aramis asked earning a nod "yeah, let's go" she smiled as she slid her dagger into the side of her boot. After locking the door, the group left the Inn and soon found themselves entering the Garrison; they ate some breakfast after greeting their captain who was in the middle of training some of the cadets. All of a sudden, the royal messenger rode through the gates, yelling out "Captain Treville!! Musketeers!!" this certainly had the entire Garrison alert; Treville took the letter from the man before he rode away, most likely to return to the Palace. "Well that was unexpected" Porthos mumbled as they watched the messenger hurry away; Kayley turned towards her uncle as she asked what the letter contained. They paid attention to the man as he opened the envelope and began to read the letter; his eyes widened at what he read "Christ!!". If they musketeers weren't concerned before, they were now. "Uncle Treville??" D'artagnan called out, somehow catching the older man's attention as he waved them to follow him; they soon found themselves standing inside the captain's office, the door securely shut. 

"What's going on??" Athos asked, determined to get an answer; Treville sighed as he placed the piece of paper on the table "Spain have declared war on France" he explained. All eyes widened is horror as he continued "....all of the musketeers are to leave for the front immediately" they couldn't believe what they were hearing "what?! Right now?!" Aramis repeated, earning a nod from their captain "first you're to go to the Palace, then leave for war...it's the King's orders" he sighed out. Kayley couldn't wrap her head around the information "we...we're really going to war" she breathed out; her brother wrapped an arm around her shoulders as he asked if she was going with them as well - Treville nodded "she's a musketeers as well, just as much as your four". Leaving the office, the five rushed to return to the Inn and packed what they need; explaining to Constance what was happening was a heart wrenching thing. The woman cried as she embraced each one of them "I'll keep your rooms locked for when you return" she promised; they all thanked the kind woman before leaving the building, walking through the town until they were back at the Garrison - they prepared their horses. All of the cadets had gathered around to send their musketeers off, along with their captain "good luck out there", "come back safe" and "save France for us" were the main things that were said as they all said their goodbyes. Last was Treville as he embraced each of the musketeers he was so proud of "good luck" he smiled "stay together no matter what....you five are unbeatable and unbreakable when united" he gentle ordered; the older man would never admit it to anyway, but he had always seen the five as his own. Kayley smiled, tears forming in her eyes as she parted from the man she loved so dearly "we will uncle". The group hopped up onto their horses where the teenager looked over towards the cadets who were waving them off "we'll be back!! You can count on that!!" she called out to them; one of the cadets - Jack - spoke up "you better!! Or who else will teach us how to become amazing musketeers!?" they chuckled "or beat our arses during training?!". 

And with that, the musketeers rode through the town and towards the Palace, the towns people waving them off as they passed; they soon found themselves entering the throne room where the King and Queen were stood waiting for them. "Your majesties" they respectfully bowed before Anne hurried forwards and tightly hugged each of them "I am so sorry you must leave" she stated; of course she embraced the fourteen year old longer than the other musketeers "it's not your fault Spain hate us" she reassured. Louis spoke up once his wife was by his side again "as you are each musketeers, you will all be commanders" he explained, earning a multiple of nods "we....we hope and pray to see you again musketeers, all of you" D'artagnan smiled as agreed with the King. Upon saying their goodbyes, the five friends left the throne room and returned to the stables where....they suddenly found thousands of armed men, dressed in armour that was to protect them?! "I'm gonna take a guess and say they're the soldiers who are to come with us??" Aramis suggested; Porthos chuckled "that or the King is having one hell of a party" they couldn't contain their laughter at the bear like man's comment. Jumping up and onto the back of their horses, the musketeers began to lead the way out of Paris, the thousands of men following after them "who'd of thought it?? Two, nearly three months ago, we were entering Paris for the first time to find uncle Treville in order to make a new start" D'artagnan recalled as he rode next to his sister; she agreed as she continued "and now we're leaving Paris as the King's musketeers to fight in a war against Spain". A lot can happen in two to three months. They were living proof of that. As they rode on, Kayley spoke up again "we....that's our life now" an idea popped into her head as a smirk formed onto her face "all for one". These three words earned four more smirked, as well as from the nearby soldiers who had overheard of the musketeer's motto and understood it's meaning. "And one for all!!" this yell washed over the many thousands of men who repeated it, proud to be able to say it with the King's musketeers. After all, it wasn't just a motto to the five friends - it was their meaning of life.

Now. You're probably thinking 'that's it?? That's the ending?!'. Well my friends, no. It is most certainly not the end of this story. Quite the opposite really. It's only just the beginning for our favourite musketeers.

...Until Next Time...