Chapter 7

The next morning arrived are too soon. The four musketeers and their two friends were up and back on the rode by nine O clock, eating some bread for breakfast as they went. "How far until we reach the border??" Kayley asked; Athos thought momentarily to work out the time, distance and speed "at the pace we're going, I say in about five hours" he informed. Just like the previous day, the five friends spoke, joked and laughed with one another as they travelled, yet they kept their eyes and ears open with their surroundings - they kept their guard up at all times. The hilarious topic for discussion was based around Aramis's past lovers "wait...you jumped out of a second story window because you were sleeping with a married woman but her husband came home early?!" D'artagnan asked through his laughter; Porthos was telling the siblings about the time he and Athos had found their gunman friend hanging from a very high up window ledge in town a few years ago due to a woman. "Sad but true, but I've learnt the error of my ways" Aramis stated honourably, earning a laugh from their leader "yeah, with your mate" Athos smirked; Porthos didn't even attempt to contain his grin "I ain't complaining". Chuckling, Aramis joined his two close friends in their banter "of course you're not complaining" he smirked at them; it all seemed to click in the brother and sister's minds as to what the three musketeers were talking about. D'artagnan spoke up, surprise clear in his voice "you two are a couple?!" the long time friends paused and turned towards the youngest two as Porthos nodded his head "we are, though I thought that was clear" his boyfriend chipped in "is that a problem??". The musketeers waited for their answer, staring at the two as they hoped for a good reply - why their anxiety with the question was suddenly high?? None of them knew or understood. Finally, Kayley sent the three men a smile that could only be described as adorable and heart warming "of course not" that earned a couple of smiles and mental signs of relief "why would it be??" she asked; Athos explained "not everyone believes its right, two men loving each other like these two do" he nodded towards the couple "to our knowledge, most people that know them don't mind, Treville is fine with it, even the King and Queen". Porthos spoke up, explaining how the only rule they had to follow was that their relationship doesn't interfere with their work; Aramis rubbed the back of his neck as a look of slight guilt crossed his face "and it doesn't....most of the time" that earned either a smirk or a chuckle from them each. "Well no, it's not a problem" D'artagnan smiled, his voice sounding...nervous "to be honest, if I said it was...I'd be quite the hypocrite" the statement confused the three, to which they asked why "well...em...you see...." the young man couldn't find the correct words - to be fair, he had only ever spoke about this twice. To his father and his sister. Seeing her brother struggle, Kayley spoke up to help him out "D'artagnan prefers men over women" she summed up easily, earning a look of gratitude from the said man; the musketeers were indeed surprised, though they soon passed their state of shock and smiled - Porthos even patted him on the back and joked "welcome to the club". Upon talking about what's to their liking when it came to relationships, the siblings also discovered that Athos wasn't a picky man - either men or women; their attention turned towards the fourteen year old who just shrugged "never thought about it, though I don't really think gender matters....isn't it the personality that you're supposed to like anyway??".

The group rode on for hours. That was, until Kayley's horse suddenly stopped in its tracks and began to move his head to look around "everything alright??" Porthos asked as he and the other men came to a halt as well; the teenager shrugged as she stroked her animal friends main "Sam??". Before either one of them could comprehend what was happening, Sam broke out into a sprint; Kayley yelped as she held on for dear life - what the hell was wrong with her horse?! "Kayley!!" she heard her brother and friends yell out for her as they attempted to catch up to her and actually keep up - it was a struggle. "Sam!! Slow down boy!!" the teen yelled, pulling on the reigns, only to hold near to no effect on her animal friend "he won't slow down!! Something must be wrong!!" she yelled out to the four men that were on her tale; she heard a faint reply come from Porthos "let him keep going!! We're heading in the direction of the border anyway!!". If she was honest, Kayley wasn't sure if she had any choice in the matter; Sam seemed to be the one in charge right now. After ten minutes, the manic horse came to yet another abrupt halt "why'd he stop??" Aramis asked once the rest of the group had finally caught up; the girl shrugged as she stroked Sam's neck - as a way to calm the alert animal. Looking at their surroundings, Athos spoke up "we'll the border is just over there" he pointed out "let's start looking around,  this Killian guy should be around here somewhere if the times are right" they all agreed to split up to widen their search "yell if you see anything!!" was the last thing any of them heard. The siblings searched were they could see each other "anything??" Kayley called out, only to see her big brother shake his head; she signed as she looked down at her animal companion "come on Sam...you brought us here" she mumbled "help us out". As if Sam understood what he was hearing, the horse began to turn around and make his way towards a very tree and bush covered area - away from her brother as he continued to look in another area, nearer the border. After a few minutes, Kayley noticed a house hidden away by all of the trees and bushes; she hopped down from the horse and hid behind a thick tree. "What is it boy?? You think that Killian guy is in there??" she asked, staring at the old and clearly run down house; Sam made a noise, as if he was replying to the question "hmm....you might just be right bud". Turning to her friend, "okay then" she patted Sam on his back "go find the others and bring them here" she ordered; her animal companion hurried to do as told, running through the trees back the way they came.