6-Dead to the World

ALEX

* * *

IF YOU WOULD PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO LEAVE AN ASTERIX* ON ANY OF MY GRAMMAR/SPELLING MISTAKES

* * *

On the taxi ride over to the park I tried and failed to cover up the dark circles under my eyes with concealer. No matter how much I told myself I was over it I couldn't sleep. Tossing and turning until nearly three in the morning I finally gave up trying and just spent my night and morning working on editing the last few chapters I'd dished out the night before.

Thanking the man and paying my fare I made my way to Tysons all too familiar Truck parked in front of the park entrance where I was met with Tyson, Jill, and a really good looking guy talking to the two with a smile. He was tall, nearly as tall as Tyson, with dark brown hair pulled back into a man bun. His skin was a tan just a shade darker than my own. He was sporting a deep v neck white t-shirt and cargo shorts. A style I felt he'd perfected a long time ago because he wore it like a second skin.

He stood confident, laughing along at something Tyson said. When he noticed me Tyson turned the man around with a grin. He introduced himself as Royce as I hugged Tyson and Jill. He was nice, and I could see what papa had meant about him being a good guy. I wouldn't mind spending the time to get to know him. He was a large man with a deep, booming voice who spoke with authority.

Without meaning to I found myself imagining him using that same dominating voice over me in the bedroom. Definitely a good sign on my part. If I could so easily imagine it and not be interrupted with thoughts of Castello, there was hope yet. Plus, this guy was my age! And papa and Jill both approved. If they didn't they wouldn't have even brought the guy up, let alone introduced us.

"It's good to finally put a face to the name, Alexandra. Tyson has talked a lot about you." Blushing I shot him a pointed look.

"Good things I hope."

At that Tyson grinned. "Of course. I'd never speak ill of you. Royce has been wanting to meet you for some time now." I was graced with a blush on the hunk of a man that sent promising chills down my arms. "Shall we?" Taking his extended arm, I looped my hand through his before we started off the trail to find a good spot.

We took our time on the trail, visiting until we came to an opening in the path perfect for our picnic Jill had planned. I'd learned Royce was studying in photo journalism. He was only working with Papa until he had enough saved up to finish his last year semester. Then he planned to travel the countryside looking for the most beautiful places to vacation. I also learned his favorite color was forest green. Whether he thought I noticed or not he was referring to my eye color. When he'd said it he was staring too hard at my gaze. It was like he wasn't looking me in the eye, but getting lost in the color.

"So," Jill cooed in my ear once she finally got me alone for the first time. "What do you think?"

Leaning back against the blanket I shot Jill a knowing look. "You were right. He's definitely good looking." She had a look I knew all too well.

"There's a but coming, isn't there." I smiled at how easy she could read me.

"There's compatibility, but it's nothing like what I had with Cas. I swear the guy has ruined me for anyone else. I keep finding myself comparing them. And the sad thing is I don't even realize I'm doing it until it's too late." Jill sighed, leaning her head back to soak up the sun blanketing us in warmth.

"I know you don't want to hear this, but maybe you should try to talk-"

"No." I cut her off before she could even finish that thought. As Tyson and Royce headed back over to the blanket I hissed under my breath. "Im non mettere me stesso in una situazione di essere abbattuto. Ancora."(I'm not putting myself in a situation to be shot down. Again.)