12-Absolute Perfection

CASTELLO

* * *

Standing next to my wife at the head of our kitchen table I watched in awe at the picture perfect image laid out before me. My wife held the camera in hand as our son, Tyler Espisota blew out his three birthday candles on his Scooby Doo birthday cake.

Cheers erupted all around as he shot us that heart stopping toothy grin. He was so perfect. After nearly losing him that first two weeks in the hospital I'd learned to cherish every moment life gave me with my family, never leaving any moment unrecorded. Most parents would think it crazy to never put the camera down, but Alex stood beside me with a smile. She loved the idea, a part of me telling me she felt the same way I did.

We were too scared to lose any moments we had together after we'd almost had everything ripped away from us before we could even cherish it. Cake and ice cream was passed around the house, kids running and screaming, parents sitting around in circles laughing at their own child's antics.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Tyson came up behind me with his own plate of desert, grinning from ear to ear as Jill picked up Tyler and spun him around in a circle, the child giggling in his grandmother's arms.

I nodded with a smile, turning to face my lifelong friend. "It's absolutely perfect. You'd think five years later things would seem less than perfect, but everyday is like the first, if not better. I wake up next to the love of my life, with my son there every morning jumping on my back if I hit snooze too many times." We both chuckled at that.

Tyler had gotten into the habit of being our alarm clock past the second snooze button. If we weren't up by the time he was out of bed and dressed in his teddy bear jammies we were going to be woken up.

Alex came sauntering over with a knowing smile, wrapping her arms around my waste before turning to face Tyson. "Thank you for the birthday present, papa, but you're spoiling the boy. He's going to have an unhealthy perspective of how life works at this rate." We both shook our head at my wife's discretion. She'd gotten it in her head we needed to start early with the reality checks, but all we wanted to do was spoil him. Tyson and Jill sometimes goes over the limit-perfect example being the extravagant battery powered four wheeler.

"Picollo, he's three. Let him live these first few years blind to how it works. I only wish I could be that innocent again." She shook her head at us, mocking us as we had done her, but she still had a smile.

"It's just so perfect." Hugging my wife to my side we turned to watch the party unfold, dozens of tiny feet running after each other in a crazy game of tag, and she was right. It was perfection. Absolute perfection. 

* * *

I am so happy to finally have this Novella finished and done with. It is my first story of this length and gave me a lot of problems with feeling rushed and incomplete. However, I am putting it out to the world as is because if I don't you'll never get to see it. It's been a journey, albeit short. This is the first story of my ten story ILLICIT SERIES so keep a look out for the rest. The list is on my profile if you want to check it out. Don't remove this book from your library yet. I'll post a new chapter next with a preview for book 2!