9-My Shadow

ALEX

* * *

IF YOU WOULD PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO LEAVE AN ASTERIX* ON ANY OF MY GRAMMAR/SPELLING MISTAKES

* * *

Waking up was a cagna of a process. The first thing I noticed was the numb weight on my body. I couldn't move anything, my body completely frozen. It felt like ages before I could even move a finger, let alone open my eyes. When I finally was able to crack a lid back I regretted it almost instantly.

"Sorry," an unfamiliar voice cooed too close for comfort. I tried to squirm away from the voice, but my body wouldn't listen to my silent pleas to move. "You are going to have one killer headache while the last of the sedative wears off. The immobile part is ingenious, really." The voice cackled in my ear as I tried to blink back at the blinding light in my face.

"It's called Succinylcholine, but for lack of time let's shorten it to SUX, shall we? It's a neuromuscular paralytic drug. Big words, but you know all too well what it is, don't you, mia bella?" I hated the way he called me that like Castello did, his voice dripping with acid.

At the thought of Castello my heart rate spiked, causing a beeping in the near distance to rattle out loud.

"Calm down, will you? Those fucking heart monitors never cease to piss me off with their incessant beeping. You're going to have to bear with me while I explain everything to you. I'm not going to end all of this until you know what you've done." The voice took a twisted turn near the end as the man rattled on. Where was Castello? Where was Tyson and Jill?

I had to close my eyes at the migraine that ensued with the thoughts my brain instantly took me to. They couldn't be hurt. I wouldn't let myself think that way.

"SUX paralyzes all the muscles of the body, including those used for breathing. Point being you've got a breathing tube. I've got you hooked up to that damn thing just to make sure you don't die on me before I'm done with you." His words made my blood run cold. I knew all about that damn drug because I'd written an article about a murder mystery it was used in several months prior.

"It's beautifully ironic, don't you think? Using the drug, you investigated in your death? I'm assuming you have no idea why you're here, so let me explain." The man cleared his throat like he was ready to tell a long story.

"I met you last year at your book signing in New York. I'd read your article about the murders, and I was instantly entranced by your witchery. I went on to read the rest of your work, and felt as though I knew everything about you. I fell in love with you through your work, but when I took you my book to get it signed it was as if I was just another face in the crowd. You didn't give me two glances as you moved on to the next person.

From there I was beyond pissed. Why didn't you see me? I was sure before you'd signed my book you'd feel that instant connection I felt, but when you didn't I knew I had to take things into my own hands. I started with James."

James? What did he have to do with James? The last time I saw that man he made a hasty exit out of my small apartment back home in New York when I wouldn't open up to him about my past. I was sure we would work out, and my past wouldn't matter, but it quickly caught up with me. Did he talk to James?

"I know what you're thinking. And yes, it was me. I wormed my way into his life. He thought it was a chance encounter with a man he had so much in common with, but little did he know I've had this plan going on for the past year and a half. I did a lot of digging into your past, mia bella. You used to be quite the chubby kid, didn't you?"