Ashlyn [5]

He was right about one thing; I didn't pay attention to whatever they were saying. I had already denied Conner the chance to tell me about Calix and future movements on a regular basis, so I didn't want to hear it from someone else. I just stayed in the shadows, grateful when no-one's eyes wandered to me. As soon as Calix moved again, he'd leave me behind - and everyone else. He'd leave us all behind, and without him near, we'd die. I simply didn't know how he could do it; and it was something I didn't want to think about, hence why I blocked the stirring conversation from my mind.

Something that I didn't count on was the number of people there. I mean, everybody knew that this meeting was for all of the royals, and there were occasions were a few of them had had to come up alone, but I hadn't suspected there was so many of them. I suppose alone was the wrong term, they'd always have a few other people with them, although the only one who stayed constant would be their 'match'. My guess would be that that made it easy for them to ignore me, seeing as there were people here who technically couldn't contribute to this. I was just another accessory I supposed.

But seriously, I swear that shouldn't be that many royals; I mean, Calix was prince of darkness - but that was a wide ruling. Even under that there were creatures and powers and events that he had to watch for. I wasn't entirely sure there was enough supernatural stuff in the world to go around when there were - I mentally counted them - seven rulers. It doesn't sound that strange, but they each had a lot to rule.

There was an even number of people sat at the table. Being that it was thick, round and oak, it made me think of the round table from King Arthur's time; although I tried to get that out of my head. Mostly, the people in this meeting were in pairs, because they'd already found their other halves. There was obviously someone else who hadn't managed it yet, as Calix's individuality should have made it an odd number.

I recognised a few of them. I wasn't sure how; really, I shouldn't know any of them, considering how much I tried to forget. There were seven rulers and then five partners, with no advisors or guards present. I knew there was probably so many guards outside that being in this particular room didn't really matter, but it still seemed odd. At least I knew Conner wasn't the only one missing out.

I wondered where he was. I wanted to know what he was doing; who he was with. I knew that it sounded possessive, but I couldn't help it. We so rarely got to be alone, what with him being Calix's advisor and me always being watched, but right now, I was missing another opportunity of being with him. Even if there had been a couple of guards around, I could still manage. I just wanted to see him.

Eventually, they stood. No-one paid me slightest attention as they started to leave, Calix bidding each of them farewell with a courtesy nod, naming them as they left. Even he ignored me, although I couldn't say I was surprised. Slowly, the royals left in their pairs. They were strange to look at. Whereas Calix could easily be provoked so that the shadows swirled in the air around him, it was something he tried not to do; the royal exiting the room now clearly didn't bother to conceal what they could do.

They were beautiful; stunningly beautiful, and all in different ways. I tried to avert my eyes, but they kept getting drawn back to them as they left in their pairs. I was sure I wouldn't forget their faces, even though none of them looked to me. One royal leaned in for a whispered word with Calix, and I noticed him stiffen slightly in answer. The sheer power that seemed to emanate from him was enough to capture my gaze, but when he looked at me with his shallow, unyielding sight, I simply couldn't move. The endless, ruthless shade to his eyes just held me.

When he turned away, I noticed the smirk on his lips and the concern on Calix's, but I didn't spare him more than a glance. The woman waiting by the door didn't shine with the same power, but she wasn't the royal. She may be a soul mate, but she'd never be as strong as the one she waited for. I suddenly wished I'd paid at least enough attention to catch his name.