nine

melody ♔

"okay guys! today we are going to discuss a project that will be due on this day next week, you will need partners that i will pick for you."

the whole class groans in unison, including me. i hate when a teacher picks partners. they always manage to pick someone who i have static with. like can you not?

"so i have the list right here," she adds, pulling out a crinkled up white piece of paper from inside her desk.

"kaylin will be with ja'mari, chris with amber, jasmine with roger," the list goes on and i put my head down, silently playing that im not with the only person that i do not want to be with in this class.

"and last but not least, adym with melody. now will everyone get with their partners and once you're all settled in seats, i will hand out a paper which explains the project criteria."

as soon as she says my name and adym's in the same sentence, i seriously combust. like i'm not even a whole person anymore, just a bunch of powdered chemicals trying to maintain sanity in a class full of 30 teenagers.

slowly standing up and facing the back of the classroom, where adym and his "crew" are always seated, i make contact with a pair of brown eyes. i'm not about to let this ruin me. we're going to do the project and get a good grade, that's all. nothing more, nothing less.

"hey," i say, walking up and nodding my head at him without a care in the world.

"whats up," he says back, refusing to make eye contact.

i take a seat next to him, opening up my phone and tapping on pineapple pen. childish, but seriously addicting. as i'm lost in my game ms. foster comes around with the paper, causing me to turn my attention back to the project.

i carefully scan the page and let all the information sink in. this project is worth half our grade. if we wanna get a good score, we need to start early.

"your house or mine?," i ask adym, moving my legs so my body is positioned towards him.

"what?" he asks back, a confused look on his face.

"for the project???," i say slowly, waving the paper around.

"oh," he says, letting out a breath i didn't know he was holding in, "your place."

it's kind've weird because when we were dating, we never went to his place. it was always mine, which was very difficult since my parents are as overprotective as a coat with 4 zippers. yes, i said 4 zippers.

whatever, not my problem. my mind was focused on this project and getting a good grade. i have a bright future destined for myself. i aspire to go to nyu for their fantastic writing program, and see myself as an award winning author. if i want to meet the criteria to get into nyu, i need the grades to match.

"you wanna get this started afterschool?," i ask, not expecting him to say yes. he probably has some dick appointment to go to.

"sure whatever," he shrugs.

fast forward to melody's house
( listen to good feeling by jacquees)

adym was situated in a a chair as i was comfortable in my bed, outlining a plan for the project. while i was doing the work, he was on his phone playing flappy bird. surprising.