ten

melody ♔

after ricco left my house, i did nothing but overthink. the time we spent together seemed infinite but i was always left with an alarming sense of emptiness when he left. let me just say, his tongue does some amazing things.

we barely accomplished any work for the project, and if we keep doing things like this every time we're together i'm going to end up failing the class.

swiping my locker screen open and clicking on the green messages icon, i locate ricco's name and text him.

me: this was like a one time thing right?? cause i really wanna do well on that project lmao

ricco 🙄: don't worry about the project princess

me: stop calling me that

ricco 🙄: why? you want me to call you baby girl instead?

me: you're really starting to aggravate me.

ricco 🙄: didn't seem like that when i had my head in between your thighs.

i loudly groan, throwing my face into one of my pillows. this is gonna be harder than i thought.

"melody! get down here!," i hear david yell, knowing i was in some sort of conflict involving him. i don't have time for his shit, i got my own stuff to worry about. cough cough RICCO.

i stomp down the steps, meeting a pair of angry and intoxicated eyes. this wasn't alarming at all, for the fact that he's been like this ever since my mom died. i guess that's kind've why i have a hard time letting people in and catching feelings now. because i know that one day, maybe not now but eventually, they'll be gone forever. it's been four years and he still can't get his act together, not even enough to be there for his daughter.

"yes dad?," i sigh, connecting his gaze.

"what the fuck happened to my bottles!," he yelled, pushing a plate of apples to the ground. fragments of glass from the bowl dispersed onto the tile floor causing the whole ground to shake, or so it felt like it. i flinch as his freshly scented alcohol breath wafts against my face.

"i threw them out. you cant be drinking like this anymore it's not good for you," i say with sincere concern, taking a hesitant step forward.

i see his eyes light up and if this was a cartoon, (a really scary, dark, and depressing cartoon for corrupted children) then there would be smoke coming out of his ears and his eyes would spiral out of their sockets.

"how the fuck do you know what's good for me? these bottles," he says, hysterically rummaging through the cabinets in hope of searching for his only source of gold, "is what's good for me. it makes me fucking happy, you hear me?"

he's now five inches away from my face and the amount of feelings built up inside me are overwhelming. this is my dad, my own flesh and blood. to see him live this is fucking terrifying.

without thinking of one doubt to keep me from doing my next action, i wrap my arms around him and lay my head on his shoulder, squeezing him as hard as i can.

"it's okay dad. it's okay," i whisper into his face after engulfing him into my arms for the longest time, which felt immensely refreshing.

he nods his head and solemnly ducks his head down, retreating back into his cave, a.k.a room. i have to deal with these kinds of things almost everyday, i know how to expertly handle them. i love him, but he really needs to get his act together.

adym

out of the corner of my eye, i spot a head of wild curly hair and instantly recognize who it is. melody. her face comes into sight and my eyes meet with a pair of puffy red ones. she quickly turns away, noticing me. my eyebrows instantly furrow at the sight of her distraught, and it bothers me that i care so much.

jogging up to her, i lightly put my hand on her shoulder to get her attention on me.

"you alright mel?"

she bites her lip, but this time not in the way that i like. it was more of a method to keep from crying, and i fucking hate seeing her like this. a tear escapes from her eye and she instantly turns her attention to the floor, not wanting anyone to see her like this.

i grab her hand and lead her to the nearest janitor's closet, wanting to be alone with her. once we get inside i shut the door and bring my hands up to her face, wiping tears away with my thumb.

"talk to me princess," i whisper, lightly kissing her forehead.

she lets out a shaky breath and opens her mouth to speak but abruptly closes it, shaking her head. i give her time to think about what she wants to say, and it soon all comes tumbling out.

"everything's just so fucking hard right now, and there's so much pressure. ever since my mom," she chokes, not able to finish. i know about her mom, it was a huge thing in river prep since the crash was really close to the school.

i close the already little distance between us, engulfing her curvy stature into my arms. my hands find their way into her hair and i weave my fingers through the intricate curls, noticing how each one is different from the next. i could smell her hair from here and the scent of coconut and cinnamon waft into my nostrils. fucking delicious.

we stay like that for a while, our bodies pressed against each other in a completely pure manner. if i could choose, i'd stay like this forever.

her body unfurls from mine and she looks up to make eye contact with me, her brown eyes less puffy than they were before.

"thanks dude, you're not as bad as i thought you were," she jokes, chuckling. i chuckle back, happy to hear her familiar laughter.

"but yeah, can we go to your house after school for the project?"

my eyes involuntarily widen and my head starts to spin. i cant take melody to my house. she barely likes me now, how is she gonna like me when she finds out my family's dysfunctional as hell.

"i don't know," i say questionably, trailing off.

i meet her eyes once again and i see a look of recognition, like she knows.

"we all got crazy ass family members. my dad drinks his ass off and can't even speak english when he comes home. it'll be fine," she says, grabbing hold of my hand and squeezing it.

my eyebrows gesture upwards in news of her dad but quickly travel back down to their normal position, not wanting her to think i'm shocked or weirded out. fuck my situation for a second, that must suck ass for mel. after her mom passed she needs her dad to be there for her, but he can't because he's too busy getting wasted. without noticing, my fists start to ball and my jaw starts to clench.

"everything okay?" melody says, a look of concern in her eye.

"yeah yeah," i casually respond, shrugging it off, "after school meet me in the parking lot by my car."

i open the door and step half of my body out, before remembering that i gotta make sure mel's okay.

"you're okay right?"

"im okay now," she softly speaks, chuckling. "thank you."

"don't thank me princess, i just hate seeing anything but a smile on your face," i respond, giving her a small smile before disappearing into the empty hallway.