eleven

melody ♔

it's a really nice day here in los angeles so jayda and i decide to eat lunch outside. i wanna take some bomb ass selfies and everyone seems to look better in the sunlight.

"soooo ... you and ricco?," jayda questions, lifting her eyebrows in a repeated motion.

"jayda," i laugh, shrugging my shoulders, "nothing really. he's nice and im nice. we fuck sometimes, no need for labels." even though the words left my lips with no time to think, i didn't believe it for a second. he made me feel instantly better when he comforted me, it was scary. a person hasn't made me feel that good in a really long time, both physically and mentally. it scared me that i was enjoying it, even though i knew that it was just temporary. everything is just temporary.

"alright," she replies suspiciously, pursing her lips before taking a gigantic bite of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. jayda is the most peanut butter obsessed girl you will ever meet. she puts it on everything, from cookies to waffles. she doesn't leave the house without her go to peanut butter travel cup. i know, she crazy.

i pull out my phone, sweeping my hair to the side as i look back at my reflection in the camera. my appearance is better than usual, mainly because i tried to wake up early to get myself looking like the shit. i don't really know why but sometimes i just like to do a little extra for myself. i figure i deserve it, for doing so well in school and taking care of my dad and all. it really should be the other way around; i shouldn't have to act like i'm the parent and david's the child. guess we all can't get what we want sometimes.

i start snapping away, turning my phone at different angles to get the best picture. am i the only girl that has to take 8272892 pictures just to end up with two good ones? as i'm loving myself i hear the sound of crunching grass as footsteps approach, pulling me out of my daze.

"damn mel," ricco says, meriting a small laugh from jayda and an eye roll from me.

"and who invited you here?" jayda asks playfully, raising her eyebrows.

"myself," ricco shrugs, wrapping his arm around me, "cmon jayda you know you love me," he jokes flashing a toothy smile.

"the only time i ever think about you is when i fantasize about you getting your dick chopped off," she rolls her eyes, turning her attention back to her love. i mean, sandwich.

"the love is real," ricco directs towards me, putting his hand on his heart and smiling. i never realized how beautiful his smile is. you could see every beam of happiness pulsing through him just in the way his mouth forms, or the way his eyes crinkle and cheekbones heighten.

"you should smile more," i whisper, my eyes only focused on his.

his lips gradually melt back into the position it was, a slowly lifted plump line between his chin and nose.

"i would if i had more things to smile about," he responded, smiling. it wasn't the smile he had before, the carefree i don't care if anybody sees im happy, it's a im fine smile. it's a don't worry about me smile, i got things under control. i'm practically an expert at it, from the amount of times i've done it.

"we still on after school right?," he asks, switching the topic at hand.

"yeah," i answer, nodding my head.

"cool, ill wait for you after school," he says before standing up and heading off to where his friends are playing a pretty aggressive game of basketball. i can't tell if they're mad at each other or just really serious and focused on the game. when ricco joins them they immediately pass him the ball and he makes a three-pointer (yup, i used to be on the basketball team. i know my shit). damn, go adym.