cup: 2

Norma

He happened on a Monday. It was unconventional, yet in a way, perfect. Why do I remember, well because it rained that day. Lightly at first, small patters against my skin, and then in heavy waves: it was beautiful. And the beauty of the rain intensified when -for the second time that day- he approached me.

My eyes snapped open at the sound of his voice, and I pushed myself up against the wall. His eyes held wonder and curiosity as he looked at me, and I felt something stir in my stomach. I wasn't sure what the feeling was, but it made me agree to his proposal of going home with him instantly. Pushing myself off the ground, I gathered the little things I had and realised too late that he had reached his hand out to help me. Feeling a bit awkward, I clutched the bear tighter to me and waited for him to lead the way. I watched as his mouth fixed itself into a perfect 'o', and he began to walk down the street.

Not long into the walk, he stopped us as if he had just realized something. Beginning to take off his jacket, he asked me if I was cold but I declined as I tightened my grip on the bear. A sinking feel bubbled in my stomach as we entered the underground train station, I can't get on a train. I wanted to stop walking, but every few seconds he would turn around to make sure I was still following him. He gave me his pay card for access, while he hopped the turn-stop when the officer wasn't looking. We didn't have to wait long for the train, and we boarded the car easily.

I wanted nothing more than to scream when the doors closed, to get off and never get back on. But I sat with my eyes screwed shut, knees bouncing, and a death grip on the stuffed animal. The train came to a lurching halt, and I think I screamed. Covering my ears, I leaned forward with my elbows on my knees and tried to block out sounds that weren't there. I rocked as the man tried to get me to calm down, but the train had started moving again. When the carriage stopped moving again, he ushered me off and we began to walk again.

He didn't ask questions, just looked back occasionally to make sure I was still behind him. We finally reached an apartment building, and he seemed nervous as he unlocked the door. In an exaggerated push, he opened the door and invited me in.

"This is my tiny, yet beloved home," he said, stepping inside as he dropped his bag to the floor.

For a moment, I hesitated outside of the door, before going in after him. Was coming home with a complete stranger a good idea, probably not, but it was better than behind a dumpster. I closed the door with a small click, and peered around the main room. A tan velvet couch was pushed against the far wall, a coffee table in the middle of the room, and a small flat screen TV on a stand in the corner. It was as minimalistic as a magazine photo.

"It's nice," I commented as I looked around one more time.

"Thank you. Uhm, just make yourself at home, I'm gonna get dinner started."

He walked into what I assumed to be the kitchen, and I wandered about the spacious room. Sitting on the couch, I had let my hands run over the soft material. I wouldn't mind sleeping here. A couch, I couldn't remember the last time I had slept on one, but it's been too long. As I leant back against the cushions, my small backpack crinkles against my back. I slid the straps down my arm, then removed the bag from underneath my shirt.

Heavy footsteps made me jump up from the couch, and the guy leans back as he stares at me. I blinked a few times, then lowered my defensive stance as we made eye contact. Tilting his head a bit, he studied me in a way that I became frozen in my place.

"I don't remember you having a backpack," he said, taking a step toward me.

"I kept it, under my shirt," I replied, still transfixed by his gaze. "My stuff is in here, it isn't​ much though."