cup: 44

NORMA

Halloween had always been my favorite holiday. The dark aesthetic, getting free candy, and seeing all the different costumes: it all made me giddy. Not to mention, it was also my birthday, and I had gained another reason to celebrate this day. It was Pen's Gotcha Day as well. We were having a party at our house (I couldn't get over the way that sounded) and I was a little more than excited.

James and Iris were helping set up decorations, Emilio was setting up the stereo for music, while Mi'chel and Junior argued in the kitchen. They were supposed to be making food for the party, but neither could decide on what to make. Pen had gone to the store to get drinks, and I was waiting until he got back. Everyone told me that I couldn't help, so I sat cross-legged on the couch with my hands folded in my lap. All of them were adamant about me letting them take care of things, which I didn't understand.

As Emilio finished setting up the stereo, Pen came barging through the door. He had two brown paper bags in his arms while kicking the door shut with his foot. I stood to my feet, waiting as I watched him set the bags on the recliner near the window. Pen turned around after, opening his arms to me as he did. With a smile, I jumped into his arms and he laughed as he caught me.

"Let's not pretend I wasn't here thirty minutes ago," he said, kissing my cheek.

"I can't miss you still?" I grinned while wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Well, can't say I didn't miss you either."

Giving him a kiss, I pulled back only for him to bring me back to him. I giggled as he kissed my neck then my lips again, which silenced any other noise that could leave me. That was until his tongue entered my mouth, and I moaned as I gripped his hair.

"Aight, gon head put my sister down," Junior said.

Breaking away from Pen, I snorted while shaking my head. Pen set me on my feet, rubbing the top of my head after.

"Y'all just nasty," Iris said, shaking her head as well.

"Whatchy'all looking for?! Y'all in they house," Mi'chel yelled from the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes, but didn't try to hide my smile. They were all so obnoxious in their own ways, but it was endearing. All of us celebrating under one roof was the best birthday present I could have asked for.

Everyone gathered in the living room—except Mi'chel who was cooking after kicking Junior out—and Emilio turned on music. No one even flinched when the rock music started blaring from the speakers, but red tinted his tanned cheeks. Iris placed a hand on his shoulder and he stepped aside while she fiddled with the CD player. Soon, R&B music started to play and I worked my shoulders as I reached out for James.

He looked at me confused as I grabbed his hands, pulling him off the wall. Junior and Pen moved our coffee table to make room for us, and I tugged James to the center of the room. As I started moving my feet side to side, he caught on and began to dance with me. My smile was wide as he spun me around and back.

"Oh we stepping, stepping, huh," Iris exclaimed, then grabbed Junior.

My brother's eyes were wide as he was dragged to the floor. Although he was surprised at first, he caught on and fell into step with Iris. The song ended, but that didn't stop us from dancing as we switched partners for the next song. Laughter and music filled the room, which contributed to my feeling of absolute elation. I was having so much fun, and it had been so long since I had enjoyed myself this much.

There was a loud knock at the door, cutting through the music playing. I parted from Junior, then grabbed Pen's hand and joined it with my brother's. Both men looked at me like I was crazy, but I didn't care as I walked away. With a smile on my face, I swung the door open, ready to greet whomever had arrived. My face dropped instantly as I stared into her eyes. Though her face was concealed by a mask on the lower half, I recognized who she was.