cup: 42

PEN

Sweat continued to build on my back as I carried the couch. Emilio grunted from the other side as he walked backwards out the door. We had been moving furniture from the house all day, and the couch was the last thing that needed to be carried out. Despite it being mid-October, the sun was beating down on us as we worked. Although, I'm sure it was just over exertion.

Emilio and I huffed out simultaneously as we sat the couch inside the moving van. We sat down on it, and I closed my eyes as I laid my head back. I was exhausted, my entire body was on fire.

"Nice work, hermanos," Iris called, and I looked to see her coming toward us.

"Those waters for us," I asked, leaning forward on my knees.

"You've earned them."

Iris smiled while handing us each a bottle. I accepted as I gave a nod in thanks, then drank the entire bottle. Emilio shook his head as he passed me his bottle as well. Rolling my eyes, I took the drink from him and Iris handed him another.

"I was prepared."

"Thanks," Emilio said, taking the water, "Pen's throat has no reflexes."

I nearly choked as water came out of my nose. "What?!"

My siblings laughed at me as I wiped my nose with the bottom of my shirt. I groaned as I stood up, jumping down from the truck. Scrunching my nose, I made my way into the house and upstairs. Flicking on the bathroom light, I grabbed tissue to blow my nose. I moved to my old room as I stripped out of my shirt.

Rummaging around inside the boxes, I found another tank top and pulled it on. As I stepped into the hallway, I glanced at what used to be my mother's room. I stood in the center of the now empty room, but still feeling the same warmth it always had. Closing my eyes, I hoped it would still have the same feeling once I moved into it.

"How has it already been a month," I whispered, combing my fingers through my hair.

When I opened my eyes again, something on the floor glinted through the filtered sunlight. I crouched down to pick it up, inspecting the object once I brought the in front of my face. The ring had simple diamond band with a sapphire at its center. I remember Mama saying she had lost this ring years ago, it must have fallen behind the dresser. Standing up straight, I clutched the ring in my hand as left the room.

Bounding down the stairs, I met my siblings on the porch of the house. Emilio lounged on the balcony, while Iris sat with her legs stretched down the stairs. I sat next to Iris and opened my palm to show her the ring.

"This was on the floor in Mama's room."

She took the ring from my hand, a sad smile crossing her face as she held it. Iris handed the ring back to me, and I furrowed my eyebrows at her. Curling my fingers over the ring, she pinched my cheek as her smile widened.

"You found it, you keep it."

"It won't fit me, Iris."

"Maybe not you, but..."

Her words trailed off as a black SUV pulled up behind the moving van. The passenger door opened revealing black combat boots. Norma stepped around the door as she closed it, them made her way over to the three of us. She plopped down between my legs, leaning her head back on my lap.

James came to the steps after her, perching his foot on the edge of the bottom step. He adjusted the box he carried to rest on his knee, then wiped away the sweat on his forehead.

"How is it this hot," he said, fanning his body with his shirt.

"Global warming," Emilio said, swinging his feet over the balcony.