cup: 22

PEN

I frowned as I stared at her kick the punching bag. Norma was concentrated in her training while I was slacking on mine to watch her. She had been distant this past week, which bothered me. A lot.

A hard clap came to the side of my head, and I glared at James who glared back at me. Old Man was getting a piece of my mind for sparring us together. There was not a doubt in my mind James hated me, and to an extent I didn't like him either. It was unsolicited antagonism toward me that made me not like him. Other than that, he was a pretty stand up guy.

"Pay attention, kid," he said, and I smacked my lips at him.

"We're the same age, kid," I mocked.

He stepped to me, and I stood my ground as we stared each other in the eyes. I wasn't going to back down, especially to someone who had no reason to step up. James flared his nostrils at me, then turned away as he went to lean against the side of the ring.

"What do you want with my sister?"

The question hit me in a way I didn't expect. I hadn't figured out what I felt for Norma, and probably wouldn't for a while but there was something. One thing I knew for sure, was I wanted more of whatever we had going on. I wanted more kisses that made her come, and more nights holding her while we slept. There was no way for me to go back to seeing her as just a friend.

"Well," James asked, impatience and annoyance in his tone.

"We're just friends," I said, and he raised an eyebrow at me. "I haven't fucked your sister, is that what you want to hear?"

James' lip curled, and he stood from the ropes as he came to stand in front of me. I gave him a bored look as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You're walking a thin line with me." His fists clenched at his side, and veins popped in his biceps. Holy shit.

"I'm not the one with the problem." I unfolded my arms, angling my body away from him.

We stared each other down. A hand appeared on his shoulder, and I looked down into Norma's eyes. She glared up at me, then pulled James away. They walked to a corner of the ring, and she talked to him before he nodded his head and got out. Coming back to me, Norma replaced her brother as she stood toe to toe with me.

"Your little masculinity contest with my brother needs to stop," she said, her eyes hardened with irritation.

"Tell him that," I scoffed, beginning to unwrap the white tape from my hand.

I walked around her, then went under the top rope to get out of the ring. Being reprimanded by her was both annoying and arousing, and I didn't need to be either of those. Passing by James, he glared at me while punching one of the new bags hanging from the ceiling. The chain rattled dangerously with each hit, and I remembered how it felt to be on the receiving end of one. Shaking my head, I carried on to the equipment closet.

As I rummaged around for a long jump rope, the door shut. I turned around to see Catherine, and she smiled at me. Why did I did I feel like trapped prey?

"Whatcha looking for," she asked, taking a step closer to me in the small room.

"Rope," I replied, holding up the few I had in my hand.

"Need help?"

She didn't give me time to answer as she moved around me, bending over to look inside the bin. Catherine's butt brushed against my leg, and I took a step back while she continued to search. When she came back up, she had a red and white rope in her hand. I lifted the rope from her hand, inspecting it before thanking her. I dropped the other ropes back in the bin, then turned to leave the room. Confusion passed over my face when she caught my arm in her hand, and I looked at her still smiling face. Her grin was sweet, which was offputting.