cup: 24

NORMA

I stood with my arms limp at my side as James carried my two boxes of stuff to his car. Pen stood next to me, arms folded over his chest as he watched my brother walk out of the apartment. When he was out of the door, I walked over to shut it behind him. Leaning my back against it, I stared at Pen and he stared back at me. His face held no emotion, which didn't sit well with me.

Locking the door, I stalked over to him and he uncrossed his arms. I stopped right in front of him, tilting my head back to meet his cold gaze.

"I thought we were moving together," I whispered, resting my hand on his pectoral.

"Plans change," he said, then slid his arm around my back. "This isn't the end for us, Puddin."

Pen held the side of my head, fingertips buried in my hair, as he leant down to kiss me. The doorknob jiggled, causing me to turn my head to glance at the door. I felt his lips press against my neck, and I clutched the back of his neck as my eyes closed. A little hum of pleasure escaped me, but the sound of a hard knock interrupted any basking I had started to do. Another knock came, harder than before and I got the sense that he might kick the door next. Pen sucked harshly on my skin, then traced his tongue over the sore spot.

"Let him wait," he whispered.

"That door's going to come down, and then you'll be dead," I huffed, knees feeling weak from his actions.

"You're worth it."

I nearly passed out. Placing my hands on his biceps, I pushed away from him and took a deep breath. He wiped his bottom lip with his thumb, eyes boring hard into mine. I couldn't look away from him, and I walked backward toward the door. Pen stalked toward me with every step I took, until my back hit the wooden slab. My hand fumbled over the lock as he trapped me between his arms, then kissed the top of my head. As the lock clicked, I reveled in the feeling of his lips on me. When he pulled back, his dark irises seemed impossibly darker as he stared at me.

"I have to go," I said.

Opening the door, James stood on the other side and I fixed my hood around my neck. I felt Pen's stare on me, but I avoided eye contact, with both of them. Tension crackled in the air, I needed to get out of there. Keeping my head down, I left out of the apartment building then hurried over to James' Chrysler. My breathing picked up as I slid into the passenger seat; why was I panicking? I held my hands in front of my face, and they shook minimally yet uncontrollably. Clenching my fists closed, I shoved them under my thighs as I looked out the window.

James stormed out of the building, his right fist cradled in his hand. My eyes widened at this, and I tracked him as he walked around the car. He snatched the door open, climbing in and starting the engine. I had no room to ask about his swelling knuckles as he peeled away from the curb, but it didn't take much imagination to guess what happened. His jaw ticked, a finger tapping against the wheel as he pressed his foot on the accelerator.

"Jay," I said, touching his elbow.

"Don't touch me, Norma-Jean," he gritted, which made me withdraw my hand.

We drove in silence. His anger radiated harsh waves, and the air felt stifling inside the car. I rolled the window down, leaning away from my brother. Soon enough, we were pulling into the parking garage of his apartment building in the middle of downtown. Throwing the gear shift in park, he got out of the car and came around to my side to open the door. I stumbled out, then flinched when he slammed the door shut. James grabbed my hand, dropping his keys on my palm then told me to go upstairs.