cup: 19

Pen

My temper was reaching a level it hadn't been in a long time. I was glad for my mouth guard as I gritted my teeth. Dealing with Norma-Jean's attitude, her lack of communication, and blind trust of strangers is just the tip of the iceberg. There was also this pain in the ass standing across from me, who I couldn't wait to punch in the face.

He glared at me from across the ring, and I wanted to flip him off but my hands were gloved. Old Man stepped into the ring, then motioned for us to come from our corners. We touched gloves as instructed, then stood back until a bell rang to commence the fight. I wasn't prepared to be rushed by him, but had enough time to duck under his arm before he hit me. These three rounds should go by easily.

When he turned around, I sent a right hook to his face. These gloves were annoying, I wanted feel his skin against my knuckles. His defense was lacking, so I threw a few more punches to his head and chest. My eyes widened when his arm came up and he blocked me, and I noticed the smile on his face as well. (In that moment I knew, I fucked up.) I had no time to react before I was stumbling backwards, trying to protect my face from his forceful hits. He only let up when I was in a corner and forced to back away from me.

Shaking off the assault, I realized this would be more difficult than I thought. I also realized that I was about to embarrass myself in front of Norma. There was no way I was going to win against this guy, but I couldn't just quit.

Again I weaved away from one of his face shots, but my own counter attack missed as well. This guy was a damned good fighter, and I was just a ballerina with boxing gloves on. Another flurry of punches came my way, and I blocked a few to the best of my ability. Before I knew it, my cheek had smacked the pad of the ring, and I swore stars were floating around me. A fucking haymaker.

"Bitch." I blinked as I heard the word spat at me; me, a bitch?

Mi mama ain't raise no bitch. Slowly, collecting my wits (because they had been scattered all over the damn ring) I rose to my feet again. Just as I turned around, the timer went off and the first round had ended. We returned to our corners, and I huffed as I sat in the small stool provided for me. A towel is being pressed to my forehead, and I turned to stare at bright blue eyes.

"Hey there," she smiled as she wiped away my sweat. "I like your dancin'."

"Thanks," I laughed, and looked away.

What the hell was Norma-Jean doing talking to him? She stomped her foot at something he said, and he rolled his eyes at her. Furrowing my brows, I watched as he pulled on her ear and she hit his hand away as she left the ring. What was that about?

I didn't have time to think as the bell rang, signaling the start of the second round. Just like the first round, I was rushed by my opponent and I ducked away from his attack. If I had learned anything, it was that I needed to be more defensive than offensive, so I blocked, weaved, and bobbed away from his advances. He was relentless in his onslaught of punches, and I couldn't seem to find an opening. When I did find one, I remembered how I felt being hit there but if I hit him it wouldn't have the same effect.

Either way, I took the shot and hit him just below the diaphragm. I watched as his eyes bulged out, a deep gasp left him, and he fell to his knees as he clutched at his abdomen. Falling to his side, he laid on the ring floor until the end of the ten count. Wow, it actually worked with gloves on. Thank you, Norma.

"You idiot," she yelled, and I looked down at the small girl in surprise as she knelt down next to the fallen man

I hadn't realized he hadn't moved since I hit him. He wheezed, almost as if he was in serious pain and I stripped off my gloves as I knelt beside her.