cup: 14

Pen

My hair was combed and gelled back, and I wore a white button up with black dress pants. A few of the top buttons were left undone, and I rolled the sleeves up to my elbows. Dressing like this for clients wasn't unusual, especially for clients of an elite class, but I always surprised myself with how well I could clean up.

As I stepped out of the bathroom, I could hear voices coming from down stairs and I took a breath to prepare myself. I descended the steps in a slow manner, trying to appear more relaxed in the house. After all, I was Georgia's boyfriend and there was no reason for me to be uncomfortable.

"Ah, here he is now," I heard the woman say, her voice high as she tried to sound cheerful.

When I got to the last step, she came and wrapped her arm around my elbow as she pulled me toward the front door. At the door stood an older couple, whom no doubt had to be her parents. The man was tall like his daughter, and eyes the same piercing blue as well. His hair though was completely white, and it reached just below his chin. I extended my hand to him in a polite shake as Georgia introduced us. I gave the firmest handshake I could muster, then moved on to the mother. She was shorter than her counterpart, and seemed more reserved as well. Her eyes were a light brown, that matched the graying color of her pinned up hair. Though they were faint, there were wrinkles in the skin of her hand.

"Please, call me Alex," I said, when the older man addressed me as Alexander.

"Alex then," he said, then smiled as he tried to grab his wife's hand. She had her fingers locked together, and he settled for rubbing the back of her arm.

"Shall we chat before we eat," Georgia asked, placing her hand on the back of my elbow.

I smiled at her, trying to play up the act of the doting couple. For the most part, I felt it was believable and that we were selling it well. She took my hand, then led the three us toward what I assumed was her sitting room. The area was pristine, with white sofas and armchairs, and a marble coffee table in the center. A blue area rug added a burst of color to the otherwise, colorless room. What was it about being rich that they always bought white furniture?

As Georgia and I sat on one of the loveseats, I pulled her closer to me to fill the space between us. If she sat that far away, there was no way her parents would believe we were a couple. She gave a broad smile as she leant her head on my shoulder, and I wrapped my arm around her shoulder. I had to give her props, she was a great actress.

"So, how long have you been together," Mr. Swanson asked, which made us glance at each other.

"Three months," I said, and Georgia placed her hand on my knee as she squeezed it with a smile. It was her way of telling me, I did a good job, and I patted her hand in return.

The balding man from earlier appeared with drinks on a platter, then reported that dinner would be served in an hour. I wondered what Norma was eating, or if she was eating anything at all. She tended to get immersed in things easily, and would forget to eat. My eyes widened at this, but I relaxed as I brought the glass of tea to my lips. Suspicious actions were dead giveaways.

"How did you two meet," Mr. Swanson once again asked, swirling his drink around in his cup. He was someone who frequented alcohol tastings.

"A friend of mine introduced us during an art gala," Georgia answered, then looked over at me as if asking for reassurance.

I smiled as I stroked her cheek. "Of all the works of art I had seen, you were the most beautiful."

That was cliche yet smooth. Her father was definitely buying what we were selling, while her mother didn't seem to have much interest at all. Not one word had passed through her cinched thin lip, and she sat in a manner that said she had no intention of speaking either. With her legs crossed, the older woman had her body turned away from the rest of us as she rested her chin in her hand. It was as if she didn't want to be here at all. I felt it would be rude to not address her, but I also did not want to bother if she did not want to be addressed.