cup: 9

Norma

To say I was excited was an understatement, I was completely jazzed. Yes I used the word 'jazzed'. After searching for a month, I finally found a job. I practically cartwheeled home to tell Pen, but when I got back, he wasn't there. Some of my excitement withered at this, because what good is news if you can't share it with someone?

I sat down on the couch, tapping my fingers against my thighs as I looked around the room. Wow, it was sort of weird being home without him being here. Going out by myself, I was perfectly fine, used to it: I was also used to coming back to the apartment and Pen being home. To be frank about it, I wasn't sure what to do without him. We always watched television together, and one of us would make food to eat. It was our routine.

Picking up the television remote, I turned it on and began to flip through the channels. There was nothing I wanted to watch on, so I shut it off again. I began to fiddle with the buttons on my shirt, unbuttoning and buttoning the top over and over. This was pathetic, I've been on my own before, yet I couldn't keep myself entertained? Getting down on the floor, I did push-ups to pass the time. I made it to two hundred-fifty before I stopped, then rolled over to do sit ups.

Adrenaline started flowing, and I was zoned into workout mode. I transitioned from sit ups to reverse crunches, then into a four minute plank. My button up had been discarded and I was left in a tank top as I counted the seconds in my head. Sweat covered my torso and forehead, and I clasped my hands together tight as I held my body up. I was so focused on not caving, that I didn't hear the door open.

"Training for the Olympics," he asked, humor clear in his voice.

I go into resting position, then look up at him with a smile.

"Waiting for you to get home actually," I said, slowly standing to my feet, "I've got good news!"

Shutting the door behind him, Pen kicked off his shoes as he dropped a duffel bag next to them. I wondered what he had just come from, but didn't ask. He came to stand next to me, then pulled on the bottom of my shirt. I laughed as he scrunched his face up, wiping the sweat on his jeans.

"What's the news, sweaty?"

Clapping my hands together in glee, I exclaimed the good news to him. Surprise took over his features, then he pulled me a hug as he told me how happy he was for me. He set me loose, and put a hand on his hip while he snapped his fingers, saying 'you go girl'. I burst out laughing, then rested my forehead on his shoulder as I did.

"So where's the job?" He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, and squeezed me against him.

"TechnoCraft, it's a software company about two miles from here." I looked up at him, eyes wide with excitement as I told him about the job.

His smile was wide as he stared down at me, then told me how proud he was of me. I was like a bottle of champagne, thousands of bubbles bottled up inside me waiting to burst. Finally, I could integrate back into normal life again.

"We need to celebrate," Pen said, holding me by shoulders at arm's length.

"How, what would we do," I asked, still staring at him with wide eyes.

Pen looked up as he began to think, then glanced down at me. Taking a step back, he looked me over from head to toe then took another step back. He asked me if I had ever worn heels, and I told him for my prom. Why would I need heels? What was he thinking about?

"You ever been to a night club before?"

"I'm nineteen, you answer that question."

He said, "fair," then walked toward the kitchen. I followed behind him, then leaned against the counter as he rummaged through the fridge. Was he really going to take me to a night club?