Kid Flash x Reader: One-Sided

2nd person POV

     As soon as his red hair entered your field of vision, your heart started to wildly race, like a running horse's hooves thudding against the ground. The hand in which you held your apple suddenly started to get sweaty and clammy, and you sat up quickly, adjusting your position upon your stool to look cuter.

When he, gorgeous he, walked into the kitchen, you shot him a calm smile that didn't quite reflect the frenzy going in inside your body at the moment. He didn't even return this though, not having seen the friendly gesture, and was about to head toward the fridge when suddenly, a certain blonde came up and hugged him from behind, giggling.

Your smile instantly dropped.

A sickening feeling labelled as jealousy bubbled up in your upset stomach as you watched Wally turn back toward his girlfriend, greeting her with a brief shower of kisses.

Attention whore. Dumb slut. Filthy bitch. These insults were the first of many to cross your mind, bringing an unsettling sensation of guilt with them. You knew that Artemis was far from being these horrible things. You had met her yourself, and she really was an amazing person.
Yet, you couldn't help but hate her. Why couldn't you be in her place? Why couldn't she just leave Wally alone for one goddamn second so he'd finally spare a look at you? Why was she the only one who could make him so happy!?

Despising her was wrong, and you knew it. You should be glad for them, knowing that they're living a nice life together and that they're the perfect couple.

But you just couldn't. Them being blessed with happiness, at the cost of yours...

It's so unfair. Yet, it wasn't. You were just being childish, weren't you?
Without a word, you tensely got off your stool and left the room. The two lovebirds didn't even seem to notice.

You couldn't believe you had fallen so deeply in love with Wally in such a short period of time. You had been introduced to the Team only three months ago, yet you felt like you had loved Wally since forever.

Not that you two ever talked though. He only had eyes for Artemis. The few times that you exchanged a couple of words would be when you'd come up to him nonchalantly, asking him about something or congratulating him on a well-accomplished mission. These conversations were short-lived, and he was extremely friendly and sympathetic during them, but they weren't good enough for you. You wanted to get to know him better, you wanted more. You wanted to be friends, at least!

But he showed no interest in you whatsoever. He never made any effort to engage in a discussion with you, you never even earned 'hi's from him in the Mount Justice hallways.

Finally reaching your room, you slid into it eagerly before shutting the door and locking it behind you. With a light sigh, you let yourself collapse on your bed and just laid there, enjoying the darkness's soothing silence. Here, you were safely hidden away, insulated from reality, all by yourself. Here, you could love and hate without getting judged.

Yet, could you?

No, you couldn't. Because you could never escape your own judgement.

Biting back a quiet sob, you curled up beneath your blankets, hiding your face in your knees. You just wanted to disappear already. You couldn't handle this anymore.

Why did you have to love Wally so much? And why did you have to hate Artemis for making him happy?

Why was love reducing you to such a childish, selfish being?

And, especially, Why me, out of all people?

You snuggled against your blankets, wishing to receive comfort from them, yet you won none. Not when that familiar sensation that lingered in your chest warded it away. That familiar sensation, which was none other than your one-sided feelings for Wally.