Chapter 9: Last Minute

Author's chat:

Just remember that underlined and italicized are flashbacks. And sorry for the longest interval of updates ever. Next update will be a double upload as well before it goes back to single.

Xoxo Jay-Kay

One week ago, I got a deadline and then planned a mission. The deadline is: two months and the mission is: make Jess and Navy's' lives a lot easier. I know i made their lives hell for the longest of time but now it's time to ease their lives. I caused a lot more stress than school and for that I have a very long time before I make that up. This is just how I'm going to start.

After Hannah and I's talk, I made my way back up to California and went straight to the hotel. It was about ten at night, so I asked the front desk if he had any idea where Macee and Reece were....

"Yeah, they're right at the pool. They go every night around this time and usually stay until about half past eleven." He answered.

"Thank you, I need a key to their floor." I said.

He nodded and gave me the only extra key they had. "Of course Hunter, anything else?" He asked while looking at me.

"Don't tell them I'm here." I replied before going straight for the stairs. I could run up the stairs with my backpack faster than I could wait for an elevator then step on it. I ran up the stairs two at a time, having all the practice in the world to not get tired. You know with me always running away from my problems.

When I was on the tenth floor, I immediately opened the door to the penthouse and got to work. But time was already ticking away faster than you can imagine. I installed some invisible cameras in every room except for the bathroom, that's nasty. That took about twenty minutes from my ninety minute total. I paid for the snackbar and candy fridge to be restocked, and for them to have it set up in the next ten minutes. While I waited for them to show up, I plugged up a wii system and got that situated with rechargeable batteries. Then stacked the games right beside it, of course I only put multiplayer games. Like mario kart wii, Just Dance 2014-16, and wii sports. That took me fifteen minutes to do all of that and watch them stack up everything I asked for. I put some new galaxies on their beds, and scattered some pre written notes out. Took like two minutes.

I made myself some dinner and watched some tv catching up on the news. My dinner was two pieces of chicken, mac and cheese, and a salad. Very tasty and simple to make. Before settling down and writing the note, I hoped they found first.

"Nav and Jess,

Hope you read this one first. There are a couple more scattered around here somewhere. Just wanted to tell you I missed you a bunch and added a couple more things to make your experience here more enjoyable.

-Trinitee Hope Maxwell."

That took me around thirty minutes total. Leaving me with only twenty-three minutes left. So I did what any best friend would do. I set up their phones then started playing Just Dance. All of which took me twenty minutes.

I was in the middle of a song when I heard squeaky flip flops that only make that sound when they're wet, the sound of joy and laughter coming from at least two people, and the strong smell of chlorine. All of that which added up to one thing, I used up all of my time and here I was dancing my life away. Pausing the song, I quickly grabbed my now empty bag and put my plate, fork and cup in the dishwasher. I scrambled for my phone and through my combat boots that I took off in my bag. Then I made a break for one empty counter in the kitchen and hid in it. I leveled my breathing as I heard them moving about. They stayed in the living room for a minute before I heard gasps and yelling. Then the sound of talking.

"Hope was here?" Jess asked.

"Apparently Jess, the note proves it all. What doesn't make sense is the wii still on." Navy replied.

"Yeah, if she set that up for us then left she wouldn't have used it." Jess added on.

I heard the flip flops lead to the kitchen and a pair stopped right in front of my door that I was hiding behind. I held my breath as the feet moved away.

"Did you make chicken, mac, and salad before we left Jess?" Navy questioned.

"No, I didn't." She said.

"It's still warm." Nav muttered. "You think she might be here still?"

"Check your room and I'll check mine. Meet me back here in five minutes." Jess instructed.

I heard the flip flops scattering across the now wet tile as they ran to their bedrooms. Quickly, I let out my breath when I couldn't hear them anymore. Jumping out the cabinet, I ran quietly around the puddles to not wet my socks. And ran to the stairs. Not caring about the crash the stairs door was going to do, I bolted down the stairs as fast as I could without falling. When I was completely down the stairs and now into the lobby, I through the key card at the front desk and paused to put back on my shoes. Not looking behind me, I quickly found Jess's van and unlocked the door with some bobby pins I always carry. I set up the invisible cameras as quick as I could. Then taped one note to the bottom of the steering wheel and putting another under the passenger's seat, blocking that airvent. I locked the door back and ran to my own car that was halfway across the lot. I didn't stop with my fast pace until I was far away from the hotel, putting some miles in between us.

That was close, and there is no way I can be that last minute again.