Thoughts on the Forgotten

Elerrina sat silently at the edge of her own bed, staring into nothingness. The sun was beginning to set in the horizon painting the sky a bright shade of pink behind the golden trees. Birds chirped at the balcony and outside her window, but apart from that, the valley was quiet. No song could be heard, no elflings running around the gardens. It seemed that even Vilya, securely kept around her neck, had shut down after the disappearance of the Lord of Imladris, as it merely glowed dimly without even the slightest whisper.

Glorfindel had escorted her to her own chambers after she had eaten a little. Faelilla had arrived shortly after, and had combed patiently through her hair once she had washed and changed into a clean dress. Part of her had hopped that the water could wash away all of her feelings, but such hope did not come true. Now, after both elves had retired, she was left alone to her thoughts and torments, to the unceasing storm of her own mind as the dying Sun marked an end to the life she had known.

She remembered her small house where she had grown up, her little plain room where Naeraviel had read bedtime stories to her. She remembered the village, running around with the other children, almost believing she was one of them. It felt different to remember her life after she knew the story behind how she came to live there. She had never been a lost, orphaned elf as she had always thought.

"Mommy, why are my ears pointy?" She asked curiously as she climbed into her mother's lap, her little hands reaching to her ears. She could have passed for any four-year-old child, except for the natural glow of her pale skin, and the pointed shape of her ears hidden under her loose, golden hair. It was already dark outside, and a single candle lamp lighted the room, which was decorated plainly.

Naeraviel placed down the blanket she had been knitting, and wrapped her arms around Elerrina who bounced energetically on her lap, her hands stretching up to grab her mother's round ears.

"Because you are an elf, my child. You know that." she replied with an amused laugh as she lowered her head so the little elfling could reach her ears. Elerrina's little mouth opened in a big oh as understanding flashed her large green eyes.

"Aaaaah, so that is why!" she exclaimed, opening her little arms to her sides, and earning another amused laugh from Naeraviel.

"But Mommy, why am I an elf? Are you an elf? Your ears are not pointy. Do all elves have pointy ears?" She tilted her head to the side in confusion, as her large eyes started into the woman's dark brown ones, feeling warm and cozy in her arms.

"No, Elerrina, I am not an elf. You also knew that already. And yes, all elves have pointed ears, just as all men have rounded ones." Naeraviel answered with a wide smile and Elerrina opened her mouth once again, ready to fire a bunch of new questions.

"Mommy, you told me I had an elf mommy, but she had to leave. Is she coming back? Is she my mommy? You are my mommy. Can I have two mommies?" Her large, green eyes shone with confusion at the innocent questions, too young to really comprehend the reality of things.

"No, my child, she is not coming back." Was all the woman said as her fingers brushed through Elerrina's messy golden hair, tying it all in a single braid behind her back. The little elfling remained silent for a moment, allowing her mother to neatly braid her hair.

"Mommy?" she asked in low voice now, lifting her head to look at Naeraviel's loving brown eyes.

"Yes, my Elerrina?"

"Will you forever be my mommy? Or will you also have to go like my first mommy?" Naeraviel smiled broadly at her and Elerrina felt content and safe under the kind light of her smile.