Ye Who Enter Here

For a week, I'm kept inside that chamber. I wash my face, but I don't allow myself the pleasure of washing off all the blood and earth from my body. Somehow, I feel like I don't deserve it.

Every morning after breakfast, the guards will bind my wrists once again and walk me out into the city so I can feel the sunlight on my face. I'm pretty sure this is Lexa's idea, and despite how much I hate her, I have to thank her for it. The people stare at me as I pass, and I hear mutterings of "Wanheda" and "Mountain Slayer" everywhere I go. They know who I am but, like me, have no idea what Lexa's plan is yet. Is she going to kill me?

Sometimes, while I'm being led through the city, I catch sight of Prince Roan being taken for a stroll as well. He always allows me a short nod as if we're allies, and I always ignore him entirely. He's the Ice Queen's son, a traitor to his own people, and yet somehow we have a lot in common.

Once I've been shut back in my room, I continue to sit by the balcony and think on my revenge. I'll have to come up with a plan to get out of here. This can't go on forever.

Every night so far, Lexa has graced me with her presence just outside the door. The odd politeness of it drives me crazy because she's actually acting like she respects me. She never comes in, and she never stays for long. The moment my anger makes an appearance, she says goodnight and leaves.

This morning, however, she doesn't seem interested in abiding by the same rules.

I'm standing by the balcony when the door abruptly opens and slams, and I twist to see Lexa striding in. She still looks as regal as ever, shoulders straight and chin up-tilted, her green eyes like chips of jade. I glare at her as she comes to stop a few feet from me, knowing I can't make a single move now without being struck down by one of her guards.

And yet there's still that small part of me that feels reassured to see her face after a week of being surrounded by strangers. I may hate her, but she's still the only familiar thing in this place.

'What part of "I won't see you" was unclear?' I mutter.

Lexa remains as expressionless as ever. 'I respected your wishes for a week, Clarke. We've got bigger concerns.'

'"We" don't have any concerns at all,' I counter heatedly.

'Yes, we do.' Lexa takes a few steps forward, aware of my tense stance and maintaining her distance. 'I'm hosting a summit with Skaikru at sundown. You'll be returned to your people.'

I stare at her in surprise, wondering at her intentions. 'You went through all that trouble to capture me just to let me go?'

Lexa looks at me levelly. 'I went through all that trouble to save you.'

My anger returns again, as it often has, and I let out an exasperated breath. 'You know when I could have used saving?'

The other girl doesn't reply, but I see wariness in her eyes.

'When you abandoned me at Mount Weather.'

'Clearly, you didn't need my help,' she returns.

I glower at her once before moving away. 'Clearly.'

'You're angry, Clarke, but I know you,' Lexa says, watching me as I pace the corner of the room. 'What you've done haunts you, and it's easier to hate me than to hate yourself.'

I stop, swallowing down a growing lump in my throat. 'Oh, I can do both.'

Lexa seems displeased by this. 'What would you have done if their leader had offered you the deal – save your people at the price of mine?' she demands. 'Would you really have chosen differently?'