This Is War

Lexa POV

I'm certain it surprised all delegates in the Coalition when the Ice Queen came to us quietly. We'd expected the war to begin the moment we began looking for her, but instead it has now been postponed. If we punish her as the law dictates, I will have successfully avoided a conflict which would have killed many of my people.

Then again, I know the Ice Queen. She wants me dead, and she wouldn't have turned herself in if she didn't have a well-structured plan of some sort. Today I'll find out what that plan is.

'Ambassadors of the Coalition,' I state, glancing around the throne room.

I've spent the whole morning in here, first waiting for news and then meeting with each of the delegates to discuss how we shall move forward with the Ice Queen's crimes. They sit in their own chairs – Clarke too, looking extremely out of place among the burliest of the Grounders. None of them appear as bloodthirsty as I am.

'Today we honor our covenant,' I continue. 'The clan that stands against one of us stands against us all.'

I catch Clarke's eye, seeing curiosity on her face. Somehow, all the things I'm doing for her keep on surprising her. Someday she'll realize that I'm just trying to pay back my debt.

'Bring in the accused,' Titus orders in Trigedasleng.

The air seems to leave the room when the Ice Queen enters, and my face automatically morphs into a frown the moment I see her. She walks haughtily, sneering, unbothered by the chains and the guards on either side of her. This woman doesn't see herself as a prisoner at all.

For a while, as she's being led to my throne, her eyes are only on Clarke. It makes me bristle in anger, wondering if I could get away with executing her before her trial. Clarke is most in danger here – the Queen will know by now how much I value her. Like Costia, she can be used against me.

When the Ice Queen is forced to her knees in front of me, I return her gaze with a repulsed glare.

Titus reiterates what everyone has already heard: 'Queen Nia of Azgeda has confessed to the destruction of Mount Weather, resulting in the death of forty-nine members of Skaikru.'

Clarke shifts just hearing that, her gaze narrowing. She must hate the queen nearly as much as I do. When Titus turns to her, addressing her directly, she straightens in surprise.

'Wanheda – what say you?'

Everyone in the room watches her warily, realizing that she's the only one with the power in this trial. It's up to her whether the queen lives or dies. If she wanted to commit me to destruction, she'd let the queen live.

'Skaikru demands justice,' Clarke says immediately.

The Ice Queen snarls, 'Ice Nation does not answer to this girl.'

'Silence!' Titus demands.

The Ice Queen turns back to him, grimacing with distaste.

'Punishment for your crime is death,' he says softly. 'Do you have anything to say in your defence?'

The Ice Queen's smirk is back; she straightens her shoulders, levelling her gaze on me. 'I need no defence. She does. Today is judgement day.'

I don't allow my expression to change, knowing that the rest of the delegation are watching me.

'I call for a vote of no confidence!' the Ice Queen declares.

Everyone in the room shifts simultaneously, and I find myself glaring down at her. She knows exactly what she's doing, and there's no way for me to get around it. As usual, I'm going to have to think – and fast.