A Plan

Clarke POV

A few hours after Lexa's invasion into my room, I'm back out in the city again. The guards have become more lenient with me now, allowing me to stroll ahead of them rather than between them. I am also allowed to be outside the room with my hands free.

I'm standing on a platform on one of the capital building's first floors, gazing out over the city, when I'm interrupted by a familiar man strolling up the steps to greet me. Sarcastically, I mutter, 'Well, if it isn't the Prince of Azgeda.'

'Don't be fooled,' he replies wearily. 'I'm a prisoner here, same as you.'

'You're the reason I'm a prisoner here,' I shoot back distastefully.

He comes to a stop beside me, his lion's eyes smiling even though his mouth is not. 'Relax, Wanheda. I'm here to help you.'

'Sure you are.' I turn my eyes back to the city.

'Commander promised to lift my banishment if I delivered you safely,' he informs me after a moment. 'She broke our deal.'

What did you expect? is what I want to say. Lexa isn't someone to trust, whether it be in friendship or honour. She'll just as easily turn on you as she will help you.

'I'm willing to strike a new one with you so we can both go home,' he continues, watching me.

'I'm already going home,' I reply blandly.

Roan leaps on this. 'Then you won't have a chance to get what you really want.'

'What would you know about what I want?' I snap, turning on him.

'I saw the look on your face when I took that hood off. You want revenge.'

Cautiously, I glance back over my shoulder at the guards, but they aren't listening.

'You want to kill her,' I say softly.

The man nods subtly.

I regard him for a few more seconds, unsure of how to respond. Yes, I want Lexa to suffer like I have for the past few months. She left me to die, so why shouldn't I do the same to her?

'So kill her,' I say.

'You can get close, I can't.'

Which is exactly what I hadn't wanted to hear. I glance at him, searching for any hint of betrayal. If I were the one to cut Lexa's throat, would it hurt any more than what I did at Mount Weather? Surely, if she were in my situation, she'd do the same thing. It's about what's best for my people.

'You'll find a knife under your bed when you return to your room,' Roan says, his words quickening. 'I've already bought enough of the guards to get you out of here.'

I don't look convinced, so he tries a different tactic: 'If you do this, Azgeda will take control of the Coalition, and you'll find a strong and grateful ally in the Ice Queen.'

'And why should I trust her?' I demand. 'From what I hear, she's worse than Lexa.'

'That's because you've been talking to Lexa,' he counters. 'Look, we're all trying to do what's right for our people. This is what's right for yours.'

Then it's simple. It should be simple. Lexa once did what was right for her people and it nearly ruined me. Now, I must do what's right for mine, ruining her in the process. Jus drein, jus daun, after all.

I watch as Prince Roan is led away back to his cell, worrying at my lip with my teeth.

Blood must have blood.