Bitter Harvest

Lexa POV

The Mount Weather man, Emerson, is locked away and left to his own devices.

While I'm grateful that Roan delivered him to us as a sign of his own loyalty to me and the Coalition, I can't help but feel it's rather undermining at this time. After declaring myself a peacemaker, I'd already had enough issues convincing the clans that I'd made the correct decision. And then we get Emerson. Roan sent him because he knew Clarke would want revenge – and that she'd take it in the jus drein jus daun way. Even though she convinced me to change my ways.

But I can't tell Clarke not to do it. I may have not avenged the three hundred of my people that hers slaughtered, but that was my decision. And I'm loyal to every choice I make. Hopefully, she'll try her best not to be a hypocrite.

After Emerson arrived, Clarke disappeared back to her own room, and I couldn't help but wonder what was so hard for her. Surely her choice should be simple: either she kills him, or she doesn't. She has every right either way. And I'm already weakened enough by her that I'll let her do whatever she pleases, even if it undermines me.

It's at midday, after a meeting with all the clan delegations to speak about the Last Mountain Man's fate, that I finally decide to call upon her. As the guards leave to find her and bring her to the throne room, Titus takes it upon himself to give me yet another lecture.

He's been extremely high-strung since I announced the ceasefire and has not wasted a single moment trying to make me take it back. It makes sense, obviously. The clans have never wanted peace; only our blood feud. My decisions could easily end in me getting killed, and Titus is trying to prevent that. He believes that I chose peace only because of Clarke. But I didn't. However, I have come to realize that doing what's best for Clarke is often what's best for my people, too.

'You're letting her cloud your judgement at a time-'

'I thought you were supposed to be loyal,' I snap at my advisor, glowering. The delegates are still leaving the room, and now is not the time to have yet another conversation like this one.

'I am,' Titus replies. 'But you are too personally inv-' He pauses, suddenly glancing to his right, and his face hardens. 'Here she is.'

I turn as well, schooling my features into coolness. If she's heard any of that, I'll make sure Titus pays for it.

Clarke's face gives nothing away, however. She comes to a stop at the foot of the steps, dressed in the Sky People clothes she'd brought back with her from Arkadia, thanks to Octavia. I prefer her in the clothes Polis had provided.

'You wanted to see me, Commander?' she questions.

'Yes.' I turn, striding so I can stand on her level. 'We need to discuss the fate of the Last Mountain Man.'

'I believe he deserves death,' Titus interjects.

Twisting to shoot him an irritated look, I snap, 'She can speak for herself, Titus.'

He lowers his head, silenced.

'Titus is right.'

I blink at Clarke, trying my hardest to supress the slight anger which is slowly rising within me. I know the look on her face: it's the bloodthirsty desire for revenge.

'You see?' Titus says, though he sounds very taken aback by her agreement. He strides down the steps to join us. 'It is human nature to need vengeance. Only once satiated can there be peace. That is our way-'

'That was our way!' I cut in.

Clarke starts, apparently having just remembered that. I turn back to her, searching her eyes for something that will tell me she's still on my side. That she'll do something for me for all the things I've done for her. 'Clarke...'