Fleimkepa

Clarke POV

Roan leads Murphy and I out of the throne room as fast as he can; the moment people start leaving, he has my arm in an iron grip and is dragging me after him. I follow, numbed from what I've seen. All the Nightbloods. She beheaded all of them – she hadn't bothered following the laws and waiting for battle.

Surely Ontari can't be the Commander. Surely a sociopathic child murderer cannot have just unconventionally won the Conclave?

'Slow down, Roan!' I snap now, walking behind the hulking man as he leads me out of the Capital building and into Polis's streets. 'We need to talk to Titus...'

'Trust me, right now your friend Titus is on his knees in front of Ontari,' Roan states grimly.

I feel a flash of unexpected worry for the man. He'd wept for the Nightblood children and yet is bound to serve Ontari nevertheless – like he'd said... he's the only Flamekeeper.

'No,' I mutter spitefully. 'There's no way that he'll support someone who hacked the heads off children while they slept!'

Roan sighs, still walking ahead. 'Yeah, those children were marked for death anyway.'

I stare at the back of his head. 'You'll support her too?'

'She's Ice Nation.'

'Whatever's best for your people – is that it?'

'That's it. Kind of like killing every man, woman and child in Mount Weather was best for yours.'

He has me silenced; it's not exactly something I can defend myself from. I would do anything for my people, which is what made me so similar to Lexa.

I need to find Lexa. And to find her, I must talk to Titus. He's the only man who knows where she is – surely he wouldn't tell Ontari about her? He wouldn't put her in danger?

'That's not a bad point,' Murphy mutters.

'Shut up, Murphy.'

Roan stops us by a stone wall, finally turning to face me. 'Tunnel's through here.'

'Okay, great. Thank you,' Murphy says, jumping at the chance. He heads off into the darkness, but I keep my eyes on the Ice Nation King's face.

'Saved your life again,' Roan sneers at me. 'My debt to Lexa for sparing mine is now paid. Next time you see me won't be as friends.'

He shoves past me, and I whirl to watch him leave, wishing I had a comeback of sorts. Yes, he's saved me. But I didn't want to be saved.

I stand there for a few moments, gazing at the spindly shadow of the Capital Building and considering my options. I'm no stranger to danger, and I'd be willing to risk my life for either of two things: my people, or Lexa.

Murphy's sigh is loud in the silence. 'We are not leaving, are we?'

'Not without the Flame.'

---

The chambers in the belly of the castle are dark when I enter a second time. The only light comes from a circular hole drilled in the ceiling, allowing moonlight to fall over the altar and illuminate the Polaris dropship.

'Just stay there,' I whisper at Murphy, standing behind me. 'I'll be quick.'

Sure now that I'm alone, I enter the room at a brisk pace, glancing around me as I approach the altar. Titus had placed his red pouch inside the drop ship, within a metal box that once must have contained biochemicals of some sort.

I lift it out carefully, placing it on the floor, and open it up to see the sewn word COMMANDER staring back at me. I lift out the pouch, triumphant, but am interrupted by a familiar voice.