A Multiplying Threat

So...

Hi again. I have a few things to say. 

First, I'll admit that at the time I was writing this, life was a hell of a lot easier -- but things change. They always do. I got busy, I guess, and life only got busier. I never planned to come back to this story. In fact, I left Wattpad alone altogether. 

Secondly, I never actually expected my story to get some heat. To all the people who have read this, voted, and commented, thank you. You're literally the only reason I've decided to return and see if I can finish what I've started. 

Finally, I just want to be honest: I can't promise I'll be updating this constantly, or even be updating at all, as there's a lot going on at the moment. But I will try to. I don't like leaving stories unfinished, and I do in fact have a planned ending for this. Also, who doesn't love #Clexa?

Enjoy, pals x

 ---

Clarke POV

I've been travelling for days. My determination to get far away from Polis, to find my people, overcame any other worry I had throughout the journey. Only rarely did I stop to drink from a stream, or find something to eat. Soon enough, the horse started slowing me down. It stumbled through the undergrowth, nickering in complaint, but I refused to give in. I knew the horse needed to sleep, that I needed to sleep, but I couldn't stop moving. I had the Flame, and I needed to get it as far from Ontari as possible. So I dismounted and left the grumbling creature behind.

Now, after a day of walking on foot, I feel exhaustion hitting me like a stone fist. I've been moving through thick forest, and I know I'm fairly close to Arkadia – perhaps only another day's walk if I can pick up the pace. First, however, I need some sleep.

With cold, stiff hands, I tear the vegetation away from a tree trunk, creating a space just big enough for me to curl up and remain unseen. Even though my body aches and my mind is rushing with fears of Lexa being in danger, my people suffering under Ontari's onslaught, and the fact that I left Murphy behind, I fall asleep in a blink.

---

When I wake, there's a foul taste in my mouth and I'm surprised to find it's late morning. The ache in my muscles has dulled, as has the throbbing within my skull. Instinctively, I reach up and tap my chest, relieved when I still feel the slim metal case. I stroke it with my thumb. Stay with me, Lexa.

I wonder where in Polis she is. I wonder if she has Titus with her, if she's woken up, if she's scared. If she's... thinking about where I've gone. At the same time, I wonder if Ontari has figured out that I've left with the Spirit of the Commander. I imagine her scouring the city and finding Lexa weak and implausibly alive. I shut my eyes quickly, not wanting to imagine something so grim. Titus would have made sure Lexa was well-hidden -  that man does not take his job lightly.

I brush leaves and dirt from the creases in my clothes and comb grass from my hair, climbing carefully to my feet. My stomach aches and my mouth is dry, but there's no time to waste. Ontari could already have started a war against my people. I need to find them, and fast.

With a heavy sigh, I begin to walk. This time, I won't stop until I reach Arkadia.

---

I can see the gates, shining metal in the moonlight, and beyond them the glowing lights of the crashed alpha station. This is my home, but it doesn't feel like it anymore. I pick up the pace, anticipating who I might find upon my arrival. A deafening crash and an explosion of bright light stops me in my tracks. Dazzling sparks rain down around the gate. I blink in shock, leaving myself no time to dive out of the way as an armored vehicle explodes through the carnage and screeches to a stop just short of running me over. In the headlights that wash over me, I meet the eyes of the driver, and I am even more astonished. '...Jasper?' I gasp.