A Gift

Clarke POV
Sometimes you can think you know a person and yet be completely wrong about them. I'd thought I knew all there was to know about Lexa, but she surprised me by being even more honorable than before. She used to be a savage – at least, that's how I remember her. Now, she's lenient. Accepting peace over war was a humongous decision to make, especially after my people butchered so many of her soldiers, but... she still did it. Whatever I said to her worked.

Lexa has changed me as a person, made me more like a Grounder. And I've changed her, made her more human. We make a good pair, a good equilibrium.

While Indra tried her best to stop the Commander, Lexa nevertheless ensured that more riders were sent out after the ones before. This time, the message would be that there is a ceasefire. There will be no war.

Blood must not have blood.

We left the gruesome battlefield the next morning to travel back to Polis. There was no question about whether I was coming with them; my people wouldn't accept me, even though I'd just saved their lives. I stuck with Lexa, my newest and greatest ally – and perhaps even closest friend now – as we rode back to the City of Light. Once we'd returned, word had already reached the city about the ceasefire. While many were furious about this apparent negligence of their laws, most were simply curious. No Commander before Lexa has ever tried fighting back with peace – it's a foreign concept to them. Hopefully she can educate them about it like I've somehow educated her.

For several days after arriving back at Polis, Lexa was forced to deal with yet more complaints from each of the twelve clans. They wanted an explanation, and so she told them exactly what she'd told Indra. While they weren't happy about it, they knew better than defy their Commander. And who could argue with peace? Isn't that what they'd all been fighting for in the first place?

I didn't see Lexa much in those first days, as she was constantly busy. Instead, I spent my time exploring the city, getting to know as much of my new home as possible. There's no doubt that I may be here for a while – I'm going to stay by Lexa's side until the issues with my people have been resolved for good – and I don't have much else to do.

Often, when Lexa's done with her meetings and training sessions with the Nightbloods, she'll invite me to join her in her chambers. Nothing too friendly, as she always wants to talk about business, but she opens up much more often, and I've found that I can read her much more easily than I used to.

I enjoy Lexa's company very much. In fact, I find I'm looking forward to it every day. Despite how much I used to hate her, I suppose it was an inevitable change. There's no denying that Lexa has done a lot for me; no cold-hearted person would have helped me so many times when it means going against her own culture and values. She has successfully proven to me that I can trust her again.

This morning, after I've eaten breakfast in my room, Lexa unexpectedly sends word for me to join her. I leap at the opportunity; I didn't see her at all yesterday, and I'd heard she was up all night at work. Despite her exhaustion, she still wants to see me.

I dress, grabbing my sketchbook and a stick of charcoal so I have something to do, and head straight to her room. The guards, who have grown used to seeing me, open the doors for me immediately. I stride in, nodding a greeting at Lexa.

She's standing by the small circle of couches, arms crossed, waiting for me. As I get closer, I can see the dark circles under her eyes and wonder what kept her up for so long last night. Many things must be troubling the Commander.

'Morning,' I say.

'Good morning, Ambassador,' Lexa replies. When her eyes sparkle, I realize she's only kidding with the unnecessary formality. Her sense of humor is odd, but I like it. 'Did you sleep well?'