"There Must Be More Than This Provincial Life!"

"Ah, Belle."

"Good morning Père Robert," Belle called as she entered the chapel, book in hand. "I've come to return the book I borrowed last week. I've been so immersed in the book you gave me that I nearly forgot all about this one!"

"No worries at all. Now that I've read them, they just sit there on the shelf collecting dust I'm afraid, so I'm glad to see them getting used again."

"That's too bad," agreed Belle, returning the book to its place on the small shelf. "Does no one else read in the village, really?"

"Aside from the boys and their teachers with their schoolbooks, I'm afraid not."

She nodded sadly. "It's a shame."

"Yes, it is. Although, there used to be only one reader in the village, and now there's two." He smiled.

Belle returned the smile. "Thank you Père Robert."

"Goodbye Belle. You are most welcome."

--------------------------------

"Good morning Belle!" She had barely left the chapel when she heard the call of her name. She turned around just in time to see Gaston emerge from the crowd, sweeping off his hat as he approached her.

She turned her lips upwards into a tight little smile. "Bonjour Gaston."

He grinned and shoved the large bouquet of flowers in his hand under her nose, nearly causing her to sneeze. "For your dinner table. Shall I join you this evening?"

Belle was taken aback by his forwardness. She was pretty sure that when trying to woo someone you didn't just barge your way into that person's life, or at least that's not how she thought it should be. "Um, n-not this evening..."

"Oh, a shame." His face fell. "Busy?"

"Y-yes, v-very busy," she lied. "H-helping my father ready his latest invention in preparation for the upcoming fair." Thank goodness she had an actual excuse!

"Oh. Tomorrow then?"

She began walking away. "I-I'm afraid tomorrow is no good either - sorry," she added quickly, before hurrying off towards home.

Gaston watched her go, the bouquet drooping in his hand. LeFou approached. "So, any luck?"

"Ah LeFou, Belle is certainly playing hard to get." He gave a little chuckle. "I always did love a challenge." He shoved the flowers into his friend's hands before heading off in the direction of the tavern.

--------------------------------

Only when she arrived home did Belle dare to cast a quick glance over her shoulder. She sighed in relief - good, Gaston had not followed her. She wouldn't have been surprised if he had.

That was when she heard it - gentle music coming from inside the cottage. She smiled.

Inside she found her father sitting at the table, a music box before him, open and playing the most beautiful song. The box had been Elene's, one of her most treasured possessions.

Belle watched him, her dear Papa, sit there staring down at the box, tears glazing his eyes.

"Oh, Belle." He snapped from his trance and closed the box, silencing the music. "I was thinking about where we could display it here in our new home once it's finished." Maurice was fixing up the box in his wife's memory.

"Somewhere where it can stand out," Belle said. "Like over there by the window. The paint will nicely catch the sun."

"Ah yes, that would be perfect." Maurice smiled a watery-eyed smile.

"Oh Papa." Belle went over and wrapped her arms around him. "I miss her too."

(Man, that went from funny to sad... Hope you're enjoying! Thanks for reading! :))