Dinner Guest

"Papa, I'm home," Belle called as she entered the cottage from a trip into town for groceries.

"Hello Belle, in the sitting room!" came her father's voice in response. 

Belle took the groceries to the kitchen and then taking a book went to go join her father.  When she entered the room she stopped dead in her tracks and stared.

Gaston.

The hunter sat there next to her father, teacup in hand.

"Hello my dear." Maurice smiled when he saw her.  "Look who made us a surprise visit."

"Y-yes, surprise indeed."

Gaston set down his teacup and flashed her a smile.  "Hello Belle."

She gave a stiff nod in return.  "Gaston."

"Gaston was just telling me all about the war," said Maurice.  "Come join us my dear."

"Oh, I should really get started on dinner-"

"But Belle, it's not even four o'clock."

No, it wasn't.  Belle reluctantly joined them.  She poured herself her own cup of tea to at least have something to occupy herself with.  Gaston boasted more about his war medals, and finally the conversation turned to Maurice and his inventions. He was more than happy to talk about them.

While her father rambled on, Belle watched Gaston.  The hunter didn't look the least bit interested in anything her father had to say, nor did he look like he was paying attention.

After an excruciating hour, as soon as the clock struck five o'clock, Belle excused herself and disappeared into the kitchen to start preparing dinner.  Never had she been so happy to do a chore before.

''Well Maurice, I should be off," she heard Gaston say.

"Thank you so much for the visit, it was very thoughtful of you," Maurice replied.  Belle heard their footsteps heading towards the front door.  Thanks goodness, he would at last be gone.

But then her father said something that almost made Belle drop her basket full of vegetables.

"Captain, why don't you join us for dinner?"

"Oh, I couldn't possibly cause you the trouble," Gaston said dramatically, obviously in hopes that Maurice would continue extending the invitation. 

"Oh no, no trouble at all.  It's not every day we have a guest, let alone a celebrated war veteran!"

Oh Papa. Belle shook her head.

"Well, if you insist..."

"I do."

"Then I would be delighted."

"Splendid! Did you hear that Belle," Maurice called into the kitchen.  "We have a third person joining us tonight."

"Yes Papa, I heard."

Maurice and Gaston returned to the sitting room while she prepared dinner.  Maurice began chatting again, and while he listened Gaston peered into the kitchen where Belle was.  She had tied an apron over the front of her dress and was stirring a pot over the stove.  Even in the kitchen she stood out, so bright and lively.  He watched as she set down her spoon and picked up a book, sitting up on the counter to read.  This surprised him.  That girl was always reading.  And while cooking? It seemed absurd to him.

A few minutes later when he looked back he saw the pot bubbling, Belle sitting beside it, nose still buried in her book. 

She's going to burn our dinner.  But right as he was about to speak up, she looked up from her book, glanced over at the pot, leapt down from the counter and went back to stirring it.  With one hand she continued stirring, and with the other she opened her book again.  Oh.  She knew what she was doing.

Belle couldn't believe her father had really invited Gaston to dinner.  He knew her thoughts on the captain-turned-hunter - she could barely stand to be in his company for a few short minutes, let alone a whole dinner!

She had caught Gaston staring at her,  busy in the kitchen preparing dinner.  He probably liked the sight, her working away like a housewife. Well she hated the thought, and racked her brain for something she could do as to not give him the wrong idea.  As she picked up her book again, an idea came to mind.

When dinner was ready she called the two men to the table where she had laid three, instead of two places, as well as bowls and plates of steaming food.  "Bon appétit."

"Thank you my dear." Maurice gestured for Gaston to sit down.  He did, followed by Belle and Maurice, and they began to eat.

Belle waited a few minutes while a conversation was started between the two men before putting her plan into action.  She slipped her book from her dress pocket and opened it in her lap, beginning to read.

"Belle, would you please pass the potatoes?" Maurice asked.  His daughter must not have heard him - she was staring down into her lap.

"Belle." This time she looked up.  "The potatoes please."

"Oh yes, of course Papa." She set her book down on the table while she passed her father the bowl of potatoes.  Then she turned back to her own plate, opening her book and continuing reading, this time in plain sight.  She made sure to messily scoop food off her plate and into her mouth without taking  her eyes off her book.  She cast a glance at the others: her father was staring at her, shocked, while Gaston was sitting stiffly, looking uncomfortable.  She turned back to her book, trying not to smile too widely.

Gaston finished eating rather quickly.  Once he was finished he stood.  "Maurice, I have overstayed my welcome."

Maurice jumped to his feet.  "Are you sure Captain?"

"Yes, I am sure.  Thank you, that was very nice."

"Thank you," said Maurice, flustered.  "I'll see you out."

"Oh no, no," Gaston insisted.  "It's no trouble." Belle now rose to her feet as she watched him head towards the door.  He gave them each a brisk nod.  "Belle, Maurice." And at last he was gone.

Maurice turned to his daughter, shocked.  "Belle, what was that all about?" He seemed more confused than angry.  "It's unlike you to be so blatantly rude."

"I was trying to make sure he didn't get the wrong idea."

"W-wh- You really should go apologize."

"Oh Papa, he's trying to woo me! I thought that if I made myself look disrespectful and ill-mannered it might change his mind.  And you were encouraging him! He's only trying to make a good impression on you you realize."

Maurice stared at her for a moment before chuckling.  "Oh my dear.  Well lucky for you if he wants you he has to receive my blessing, and it's going to take a lot more than just one visit for me to give him that, don't you worry! You do trust my judgement don't you?"

"Yes, of course but-"

"Don't worry, we fathers know what to do when it comes to men being interested in our daughters."  Then his smile fell a little.  "But it would still make me feel better if you apologized to him."

Belle sighed.  He was right, again.  "Very well Papa.  But only for you."

(Look at her, she looks kind of like she's scheming - hope you enjoyed! What would you do if you came home to find Gaston sitting in your living room? ;) I was trying to imagine him holding a teacup and saucer - haha! Thanks for reading!)