Glittering in Gold

"Oh Papa why did I ever agree to this?!" Belle groaned as she rifled through the sparse selection of dresses in her wardrobe. The dance was in a couple of days and she had nothing suitable to wear. This event was a formal one, judging by Gaston's description, and she didn't really have any fancy dresses, certainly not one fit for an 'Autumn Ball'.

She had been very hesitant to accept his offer, but finally gave in. She had been to the fair and enjoyed herself immensely, and figured she would regret it if she didn't take in the entire festival. Perhaps she was going with Gaston, but she wouldn't let that ruin her time there.

When at last she'd finally agreed to go with him Gaston's face had lit up with the largest smile, and it had actually been kind of adorable. Gaston, adorable? Oh dear. She shook her head to dismiss such silly thoughts and went back to searching through the dresses. Finally, she slammed the wardrobe doors in frustration. "There's nothing!" She couldn't show up in one of these plain dresses with everyone else all dressed up fancily, that would only give them something else to gossip about her.

Her father stood in the doorway and chuckled as he watched her, all flustered and frustrated. He'd never seen her fuss over something like this. "You know, I might have just the thing." He disappeared down the hall and into his bedroom and returned a few minutes later with a large, thin box. He came and placed it on her bed. "I've been waiting for the right time to give this to you, but no other time seemed appropriate until now."

When Belle lifted the lid to see inside a hand immediately flew to her mouth in a gasp, much like when Gaston had shown her the chestful of books. Inside the box was a beautiful golden yellow ballgown.

"Oh Papa!" she cried. "I-I don't know what to say. Oh it's magnificent!" She turned to her father. "Was it Maman's?"

He nodded, smiling. "It was. She would want you to have it. And I know it will look just as beautiful on you."

Belle ran her fingers gently over the silky skirt.

"It comes complete with shoes, gloves, and hairpieces, so I think you will be set."

"Oh Papa, thank you, so much!"

He smiled. "You are most welcome my dear."

Beaming, she carefully withdrew the dress from the box in a flurry of yellow silk. "I'll try it on right now!"

(And there it is, the iconic yellow dress! :D Thanks so much for reading, hope you enjoyed! And thank you so much for the 2000+ reads - that's so amazing guys!)