Belle of the Ball

When she appeared at the top of the stairs, the roses almost fell from Gaston's hand and he felt his jaw drop. He could have sworn she was glowing, in a dress of rich yellow with golden designs. For once he found himself lost for words, utterly speechless. The power this woman held over him!

She evidently didn't know what to take his silence for. "Too much?" she asked.

He shook his head, still in a daze. "You look absolutely stunning."

Her cheeks flamed, turning almost as red as the roses. "Oh, um, well, t-thank you. You look nice too." Nice? He looked incredibly handsome, and all she said was 'nice'. And in response to him calling her 'stunning'. That had been the best she could come up with?

Gaston finally managed to snap from his trance some, enough to hand her the bouquet of roses. "For you." Idiot, of course they're for her!

She took them. "Thank you."

"Roses, you're favourite," he added.

"Yes, I can see that."

Idiot, of course she can see them!

"I'll take those," Maurice said, chuckling a little to himself over the obviously smitten two. He took the roses from his daughter, placing them in a vase.

Belle retrieved her cloak. "Here, allow me." Gaston took it from her and placed it over her shoulders.

She looked surprised but touched by the gesture. "Thank you."

He grinned proudly. "You're welcome."

"You'd best be off," said Maurice. "The dance has already begun!" Then he turned serious. "Captain, I trust my daughter is in good hands?"

"The very best Maurice," Gaston assured him.

Maurice smiled. "Good. Now, off you go." And he shooed them out of the house. "Have a good time!" he called from the porch.

Belle waved. Then Gaston offered her his arm, she hesitantly taking it, and they headed into town.

There was a slightly uncomfortable silence between them during their walk to the tavern, neither really knowing what to say. Both hoped this would get better as the evening progressed.

When they arrived at the tavern, a warm glow spilled out of the windows into the night from the candles and torches inside. Gaston opened the door and held it for Belle as they went inside, then taking her cloak from her and hanging it up. See, he could be the perfect gentleman.

Entering the tavern, Belle saw that it had been transformed. It was decorated with ribbons and flowers adorning the walls, and the tables and chairs had been pushed back along the walls to clear a space for dancing in the middle, but so that people could still sit down if they wished. A band of musicians played at the front, and couples in brightly coloured, fancy attire danced to their merry tune.

Although the dance had only just begun, it was quite crowded already. Plenty of heads to turn and look their way as they entered the tavern. Even the band stopped abruptly and the room fell into silence.

Everyone stared. There was Belle, the strange inventor's daughter, only she was almost unrecognizable. Tonight she looked even more beautiful, and she was with Gaston. Had things been resolved between them? Even the triplets stood gawking, all three of them silent for once.

Gaston, of course, basked in it, all the stares and sudden attention, but he saw that it made Belle uncomfortable. He cleared his throat and addressed the crowd. "Well, this is a party isn't it?" He nodded to the musicians, who struck up their merry tune again.

And with that the festivities resumed. People began talking and laughing and dancing again. Belle still marveled at the room - it didn't feel as though she were in the tavern, but instead a ballroom. And with everyone dressed up - it felt like a fairy tale almost, like she had fallen into one of the stories in her books. This sudden realization excited her immensely.

"Oh Belle!" She turned to see Alice waving. She was with LeFou and some other townsfolk. "My you look beautiful!" she cried when she joined Belle.

"Thank you, you as well," Belle complimented.

Alice scoffed. "Oh please!" She herself was wearing a dress of pale blue. "Oh you should have seen it! We were all dancing - LeFou, Tom, Dick, Stanley, me, and their dates - were all dancing and something happened and LeFou and Stanley ended up dancing together. We all had a good laugh over it!" LeFou and Stanley blushed and chuckled, looking down at their feet. "Anyways," Alice continued, "I'd better let you get back to your escort." She winked.

Belle turned to where Gaston was chatting with Tom, Dick, Stanley, and LeFou. He turned away from his friends and back to her. "Well, thoughts so far?"

"It's lovely," she said in full sincerity.

Just like you. He wanted to say it, so badly, but he held his tongue. The moment for expressing his feelings would come later.

"And it is only just beginning." He nodded to the counter and the assortment of refreshments. "Come, let's get something to drink."

After enjoying some of the wide variety of refreshments, Belle watched the dancers. It seemed that most everyone had arrived now, and the dance floor was a lively scene. She was itching to dance, she already swaying to the music. Gaston must have sensed this.

"Come, let us dance. This is a ball after all-" But then a voice in his head reminded him of a more 'gentle approach'. "Would you like to?"

She smiled up at him. "I thought you would never ask!"

Before he could offer her his arm like the gentleman he had proved he could be, she had already grabbed him by the arm and pulled him out into the crowd of dancing couples. The next song was about to begin.

He chuckled at her obvious enthusiasm. "I must warn you though, I am a very accomplished dancer. I hope you shall be able to keep up."

She smiled at the hint of challenge in his voice, and also his classic boasting. And for a moment, it felt just like old times between them. Both longed for it to return to this way.

The music started and the men took their partner's hands and spun them around - Belle felt herself blush when he took her hand. They had never really held hands like this before, and certainly not for so long. She glided along, the golden skirt of her dress swishing with each movement. She caught the triplets staring daggers at her, dancing there in Gaston's arms, but as usual, she didn't care.

Partway through the dance Belle felt herself step back right onto Gaston's foot. She gasped. "Oh! I'm sorry!" She was terribly embarrassed.

But he only chuckled, finding her sudden flustered state adorable.

A few minutes later, she stumbled and stepped in his way in the dance. She winced and blushed deeper. "Sorry. I guess it's been a while since I've danced..."

"No, I'm sorry-" The words were out of his mouth before he could stop them. Now he was the one to blush.

She looked up at him curiously. "For what?"

For everything. "Sorry," he mumbled again, shaking his head.

The musicians struck the last note and the partners bowed in the case of the gentlemen and curtsied in the case of the ladies, then clapping as a thanks to the band.

Beside him, Belle was beaming - it was impossible to miss or mistake her happiness. Gaston gave a content sigh. So far, so good.

(I'm SO SORRY for the delay! I've been super busy getting ready to go back to university - whew! Thanks so much for being so patient and for reading!)