"So I'm Making Plans to Woo and Marry Belle"

When she returned home from her visit to the chapel Belle started her chores. She was just heading around back to Phillipe's stall with a bag of oats when she heard a familiar deep voice call her name.

"Hello Belle." Gaston let himself into the yard through the gate. "I came to check in on your father."

"My father is right, he is fine," she said, where just yesterday she had still been fussing over him. "He's perfectly well, no need to keep troubling yourself with visits."

"Oh it's really no trouble at all."

"Well I'm afraid he's busy working at the moment."

"I can wait. Besides, gives me more time to spend with you." He grinned.

She rolled her eyes. "I'm busy working too. I have chores to do." She walked past him and to Phillipe's stall.

"You know, I was thinking, perhaps we could take a walk around the village." She was about to protest. He sensed this for then he quickly added, "you're still new to town, no doubt you'd like someone to show you around, show you how things are done here. I've lived here all my life, so who better?"

"It's a small village, I've seen it all."

"But have you? Really? Why you've merely scratched the surface."

"Yes, and I've seen enough," she mumbled to herself.

"You know," he continued. "This village really isn't as bad as you think, not as dull and boring."

"Easy for you to say, everyone here loves you." He followed her around to Phillipe's stall, where she dumped the oats into the trough. "When the villagers say I'm a funny girl I don't think they mean it as a compliment." Now she took Phillipe's water bucket and went around to the water pump to refill it.

"Well you know, I'm sure if they saw us together they wouldn't think so as much."

She scoffed. "I want the village to accept me for who I am for me, not just because they see me with you."

"Let me offer you some advice about our fellow villagers: they're never going to trust the change you're trying to bring."

"Well then it is primeval of them, old-fashioned."

"Perhaps, but this is our world Belle. For simple folk like us this is all we have."

The bucket now full, she made her way back around to the stall, careful not to spill. "Gaston, I may be a farm girl, but I'm not simple. I cannot just accept this. I want more in life."

"And there is more to this life, you just haven't seen it yet," he insisted. "So allow me to show you." Then he added with a sly grin, "it's called generosity." 

Belle rolled her eyes, but she was still unsure. "I say we put our past behind us and start again, fresh," he suggested.

"I am a little lonely," she admitted following a pause.

"See?" He grinned.

"I could use a friend," she then added.

Friend? He'd never heard of a man and woman being just 'friends' before. There was usually flirtation, then courtship, then marriage, there was no 'friend' stage. How was he going to explain that to everyone? He had a reputation to uphold.

But she was warming to the idea, even if just a little. Perhaps 'friend' was as good as he was going to get right now. Guess he was going to have to settle for it.

He straightened up and smiled. "Yes – friend. We can go riding, you like horseback riding. I can show you all the riding trails. And you haven't even been to the tavern yet to see my war medals. I'll show you all this town has to offer."

As hesitant and unsure as she still was, Belle realized that, judging by his stubbornness, he probably would never leave her alone as she hoped, so this might be as good as she would get with him. Might as well try and make the best of it. So she agreed.

"As friends," she reminded him firmly.

He grinned, trying not to cringe. "Friends."

(Thanks for reading! Haha that picture describes their relationship so well! And over 200 reads! :D thanks so much!!!)