Finally Learned To Love

When Gaston entered the tavern after walking Belle home he found LeFou and many of the other villagers were still in the tavern. Some worked to take down the decorations and rearrange the furniture.

"Gaston!" cried LeFou, beaming as he came in the door. "So, how'd it go? You finally told her! And, what did she say?"

But Gaston didn't answer. Much to the surprise and confusion of the others, he sauntered quietly over to his chair and sat before the fire.

"Gaston?" LeFou gently pressed. "You hardly seem to be in the spirits of a man who just professed his love." Then he gasped, followed by a wince. "She didn't say it back, did she?"

There was a pause. "I didn't say it." Gaston's eyes didn't leave the flames. "I didn't tell her. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it."

There were shocked gasps and wide-eyed exchanges from the others. "B-but, why? You've been planning this forever, isn't that what this was all about in the first place?"

No, in the first place this had all been about him marrying Belle. Now it had turned into something quite different.

"She doesn't feel the same," the hunter continued. "I could see it in her eyes. She could never be happy here. I think it's time I turned away from this, set her free. Hopefully she can find happiness elsewhere."

Everyone was shocked. "But Gaston," cried LeFou. "You're never one to give up." In all the years he'd known him, he'd never seen Gaston like this.

"Perhaps not before, but perhaps it's best, for everyone." He gave a defeated sigh.

No one spoke. They were still too shocked, unable to comprehend that Gaston was saying this. It was like there was a completely different person sitting in that large chair before the fire, in the place of the great boastful hunter and war hero. He'd made such a big deal of this for so long, everyone knew so, and for him, of all people, to then just suddenly give up on it completely...

"B-but Gaston," cried LeFou, still baffled. "Why?"

Silence. Gaston did not answer him.

"Because he loves her." All eyes turned to look at Madame LeBlanc whose quiet voice had broken the silence, speaking in Gaston's place. "He really, truly loves her."

(OoooOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOO....!!!! Haha yay! The beast has finally learned to love! I thought he looked kind of distraught in that picture :( Thanks so much for reading, hope you enjoyed!)