Too Dangerous

Belle and Gaston continued to make regular journeys out into the forest, it became a regular 'friends' activity, something they both enjoyed. It had brought them closer together, both had realized this, and both were also glad of this, even Belle.

Today though, Gaston seemed extra alert and cautious. Although it had gotten strangely quiet out here lately, today it was really strangely quiet: no birdsong, only a slight breeze through the trees, their footsteps and movements really the only sounds provided.

They had dismounted their horses and continued on foot. They soon came to a cluster of bushes, Gaston in the lead, holding up a hand as a signal to Belle to stay where she was as he inspected the area. She watched his immense concentration - he sensed something.

Upon stepping around the bushes Gaston couldn't help but stare; he didn't want to look, but his eyes would not leave the scene.

The scene before him was just as gruesome as when he and LeFou had come across the dead, mauled deer. But this time, it was not a deer, but instead the remains of a wolf.

What could have done this to a wolf, a predatory animal itself? Something was not right here.

"Gaston?" Belle's soft voice snapped him back to reality, and away from the scene. "What is it?" She stepped forward.

He did as well, blocking her path. "Please, do not come any further."

Her face fell. "What is it?" she asked again.

"Not a sight you wish to see," he insisted. "Come." He then turned swiftly on his heel and began walking in the direction of where they had tied up their horses. "I am taking you home. I fear these woods have grown too dangerous for journeying in leisurely as we have been."

His expression was full of confusion and concern, and she did not question him; he knew this place, he was the hunter. Here, he knew best. Still, she was curious.

Suddenly, a not-so-distant howl erupted through the trees, making the horses, Phillipe especially, move unsteadily.

Moments later there were movements through the trees and a pack of great, white wolves emerged, eyes narrowed and teeth bared.

Perhaps they think we are the ones who killed their pack member, Gaston thought, thinking of the dead wolf. No doubt they too, had come across its body.

He looked to see Belle trying to calm Phillipe, while looking nervous herself. "Get on your horse," he ordered.

She did so, then turned to him. "What about you?" she asked. Meanwhile the wolves were closing in on them, circling them, growling.

"Ride back to the village, don't wait for me," he was saying.

It was all happening so quickly. "I'm not just going to leave you here," she protested.

"I'm the hunter, I know what I'm doing." And with that he struck Phillipe on the side, making the horse set off at a run through the trees.

"Gaston!" Belle cried over her shoulder, but he was soon gone from sight.

Gaston watched them as they fled to make sure they had gotten away before turning back to face the wolves. He withdrew his handgun, finger ready on the trigger.

--------------------------------

Phillipe still being startled, he was more than happy to flee through the trees, despite Belle's protests and pulling back on the reins. Finally, she managed to slow him down.

After walking for a few minutes she finally calmed him enough to stop him fully. She dismounted and began stroking his neck to calm him, while her own thoughts were rapid, her own heart thundering in her chest.

She knew Gaston was only trying to do the right thing, save them, ensure their safety. Before she would have thought he was just trying to play the role of the hero, save the damsel, but not now. And she knew he was right, he was the hunter, he knew what to do. But still... She couldn't just leave him there to face the wolves alone, even if he was a trained hunter. He was her friend.

Without another thought Belle swung herself back into the saddle, turned Phillipe around, and set him at a canter back to where they had hurriedly fled from.

(Now time for some action! I promise in the next chapter Belle will do some wolf-fighting ;) hope you enjoyed, thanks so much for reading!)