Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"How do you do it?"
Ryder Clinton leaned back lightly in his lounging chair, wearing a proud smirk as his buddy Winston Mallet ran a hand through his blonde, shaggy hair, bewildered.
"Like I've said before, it's a gift."
"Obviously."
Collecting all his playing cards into a stack for the fifth time, Winston shot Ryder a grin.
Ryder had known Winston for six years now. He was a great friend and a great EMT. He was almost as good as he was at his job. He was also a friend Ryder could actually trust with deep and concerning things, which was always a good trait to have in a friend.
"Thanks for the compliment."
"Whatever."
Ryder sat up straight again and reached over to one of the supply cabinets for his coffee. He and Winston were on a quick break, stepping away from the hustle and bustle in the hospital for just a moment. Sure, he loved his job, going out there and saving lives, but it could also be very stressful at times. His one month vacation had ended last week and this Monday morning was already going extremely hectic. They had already gotten 16 calls within the last 4 hours, and both he and Winston needed a break.
"So," Ryder sipped his hot cup of joe as he glanced back at his companion, pushing all of his random thoughts aside.
"Anything good happened over your weekend that's worth telling?"he asked Winston.
"I finally proposed to Ana."
Ryder choked on his coffee that had been going down the hatch. Winston laughed as he spit up and gasped for air. Ryder aimed a scold at his pal then smiled brightly.
"And now you're telling me this?"
"Well," Winston rubbed the back of his neck with a small grin playing on his lips.
"I was...looking for an opening."
"Well, that's one way to start a conversation."
"Gotta start everything grand, right?"
Wiping his trimmed soul patch that still had drops of coffee here and there, Ryder stared at his companion from across the prep room table. Winston and Ana Path had been dating for the last year, both of them always laughing whenever he caught them together. It was great news to hear his friend was getting married and he was simple happy that his friend was gonna be happy. And hopefully, it would stay like that.
"What about you, old man?"Winston continued. "When are you gonna get a woman for yourself?"
"I'm only 4 months older than you."
"Don't try to change the subject, slick."
A memory of Sky Evergreen laughing next to him on her stool at the diner when he had gone to return her purse, glowing with delight, dimples enhancing her radiant smile, suddenly shifted to the front of his mind. He recalled how she had gazed into his eyes, as if she were looking right into his soul. He also remembered how her smile had fallen away completely when she had confessed to him that she was a widow.
"Wow. I never thought I would live to see this day."
Glancing back up at Winston, Ryder watched as an ecstatic smile cracked onto his buddy's face.
"She must be really interesting, cause no one around here gets your complete attention like that."
"What?"
Abruptly standing from his chair, Ryder cross the room to throw away his now empty styrofoam cup.
"There is no woman, Winston."
"Oh, come on. You can't fool me. I know a look of interest when I see it. Plus, your eyes softened some for a milli second before you could put your mask back on. Busted."
Ryder averted his gaze from his prying friend and pushed in his chair. He made his way toward the door to leave and head back to his work.
"See, now you're walking away from me, from the truth!"
"Whatever you say, Sherlock."
Winston chuckle as he shut the door behind him. His companion would bring the subject up again, he was sure of it. But, to be honest, his friend was correct on one thing for sure. He was intrigued by Sky Evergreen. Very intrigued.
An emergency siren sounded in the hallway Ryder was in and he started to sprint towards the closest ambulance truck. Wonderful, another life to save. Just the thing he needed to get Sky out of his thoughts. Hopping into his truck after putting on his protective suit, waiting for the other EMTs to hop into the back of the ambulance, and grabbing all he needed for any situation, Ryder twisted the key in the ignition, bring the truck to life. Winston got into the passenger seat and quickly buckled up.
Rubbing his hands together, Winston shifted his gaze to Ryder.
"What do we got this time?"
As if by God himself, Winston's answer came through Ryder's radio in the next second.
"Car wreck at the intersection of Village Drive and Rollaway Avenue, 8 miles out. Caller has abruptly stopped answering. Bring everything you've got, and be prepared for anything."
"All right then,"Winston smirked at him as he cracked his knuckles.
"Let's do this."
                                     🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓