As useful as a fish in lava!

I freeze, wondering why I can hear something moving upstairs when I'm the only person here. I search my mind for the list of people it could be but every name gets crossed off. I stay as silent as I can and go to get the phone from the kitchen. I quickly dial 911.
"911 what is your emergency?" Comes a women's voice.
" there's someone in my house" I say as quietly and calmly as possible.
" do you have any proof or descriptions of this person?"
" I heard a bang upstairs" I say realising how stupid I sound. I hear her 'silently' laughing.
" listen I know it sounds stupid but I'm home alone and I definitely heard a bang!"
" I'm sorry ma'am but I'm afraid a noise from upstairs isn't enough evidence for us to send out a car"
" please, there is someone here!" I shout as quietly as I can.
" where are you now ma'am?" The lady asks.
" I'm in my kitchen. Don't you need my address?" I ask confused.
" no ma'am, we can track your location from this phone call if we need to." She replies.
" ma'am, is there anyway you could a closer look at the alleged 'intruder'?"
" um... I guess but..." she breaks me off.
" I'm afraid until you have proof we are not allowed to send out any cars, that could be used in a more serious crime"
I sigh and open the kitchen drawer slowly. I hold a knife in one hand whilst keeping the phone up to my ear.
I start making my way to the staircase. As I look up at it, a shiver is sent down my spine.
What if the lady is right? What if I'm just on edge and it was just the wind?
Still, I'd rather be safe than sorry!
I slowly creep up, step by step. Grasping the knife in my hand.
Getting the knife was a bad idea! As if I would actually use it! I can't even kill a fly!
"Ma'am?" Shouts the lady and I quickly hang up, hoping she didn't make too much of a loud noise. I know what your thinking, why the hell did you hang up on them, the only people that can help you? I guess it was kind of stupid, I just had to do it quickly otherwise the 'intruder' would hear her.
I mean you have to admit it, I'm very useful in stressful situations. Not! I'm about as useful as a fish trapped in a bowl of mustard on top of a mountain in Japan!
...I make it to the top of the stairs. My hands are shaking and sweating and I feel as the I'm about to drop the knife. I creep on to the landing and stare into my room.
I gulp the loudest gulp I have ever heard.
I tip toe to the doorway and poke my head In cautiously.
"Oh you know what this is getting ridiculous! There is nobody in my house!" I shout, storming into the room. I sit on the bed in triumph and put the knife on the bed next to me. Of course it was just the wind, I think reassuringly. I let of a sigh of reli...

Before I can even breathe back in, a cold hand is around my mouth and another is holding a gun against my head.

...Shit.

Nearly 1k reads!!! Thank you so much!!! I'm so happy you guys enjoy my story ( well I hope you do 🙏🏻😩🙄😂) and thanks so much for reading! It means the 🌍 to me!
Comment down below as I always appreciate feedback and will reply to all of your comments! ❤️❤️
Ps. I have some really exiting chapters coming up soon x