Chapter 5 || Trying To Close Another Chapter

Dedicated to : @wonder-struck Thank you so much for voting! I really appreciate it!

To those who constantly support this story, thank you! And I'll get to the dedications as soon as I post the next few chapters! :D

Chapter 5 || Trying To Close Another Chapter

      I felt my entire body stiffen.

"I'm doing an experiment on cats so I'm learning the way they walk. The next step is to meow like one." I said, still not looking up from my crawling position and gave the most impressive meow I could ever give.

"Am I supposed to be scared that my daughter is so weird and is interested to turn into a cat?" that person asked no one in particular. "Oh right, it makes sense. I dropped her a lot when she was a baby."

I whirled around my head straight away and quickly breathed a huge sigh of relief that it was mum and not anybody else, namely, Colton.

I gave mum a look that meant that I was unimpressed while she gave me a similar look from her wheelchair. "Mum."  I protested.

"What?" she raised her hands in mock surrender. "It's the truth." she shrugged her shoulders, to which I rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her before mentally scolding myself for asking such an 'intelligent' question.

"Well, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that this house only belongs to you and that I'm not allowed in my own wing." she replied, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

I sighed in defeat.

"What are you doing on the carpet anyway? Is it that interesting?" she peered at the carpet. "All I see is dust, dust, and more dust. You sure you're comfortable down there?" she looked at me.

I looked up and stared at her blankly. "Mum, our whole wing is full of dust bunnies."

She immediately opened her mouth to protest but closed it back again. "Well, yeah. Of course." she looked away from my eyes and finally admitted.

She suddenly turned back to me. "With my condition and all," she pointed towards her legs which were neatly tucked under a blanket. "It's kinda hard to do any cleaning around here."

"Mum." I stopped her before she would ramble on and on and make me feel guilty for bringing up the subject again.

"What?" she asked for the second time that day. She reached out for my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. "I'm fine, okay?" she gestured towards her legs again. "See? I'm still in one piece!"

I gave her a shaky laugh.

"What are you really doing though?" she asked.

"I.. I've got this assignment." I started.

"Let me guess, it's about him," she gestured towards the sleeping prince. "And you have to find extremely private and detailed information about him, right?"

I looked at her in disbelief. "How did you know?"

"You would know when you become a mum in the future." she laughed.

I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Just remember what you're doing, alright? Don't ruin something when it isn't necessary." she advised me before rolling her wheelchair away.

I didn't understand what she was trying to say. What did she mean by not ruining something when it wasn't necessary?

"Oh, yeah. And mum?" I called out. She turned her wheelchair back to face me. "I broke up with Henry. He cheated on me."