Chapter 26 - The end of an era and farewell to American soda.

The uproar that came with Oliver admitting he'd lied was a bit worse than he'd expected. Three of the former Desert Pack were really upset. He felt a bit bad but he knew he'd had to be sure. 

Particularly when he'd been right. The Northern Pack had sent fighters to Panema to wait for them at the other side. Most of the new Pack members seemed to understand, sort of, the few that didn't left the room. Everyone was here now. Adults, teenagers, even the kids. He wanted to break the news to everyone at the same time. 

"You all can remain here." He said softly. "But I welcome all of you."

He wasn't sure who'd told the Northern Pack. Oliver had tried to trace it, tried to look for suspicious behavior, but there was nothing obvious to expose who'd been the one. He just had to trust that the Northern Pack wouldn't have time to come to the airport. He already had flights booked and ready.

"So you lied to us?"

"He did consult me." That was Susie- the highest ranking of that pack- and she turned her gaze on them. "I agreed. He was right, wasn't he? What if we'd been cornered here instead? We've got kids to worry about. We've all got tickets booked. I've paid for them myself. You can come with us or you can stay here."

"To be killed?" One of the older men spoke up. Bob? Bert? Oliver wasn't sure which it was. "I can't-"

"The Island Pack in Panema will still take newcomers." Oliver spoke up above him. "You'll be safe with them."

"What the hell do we know about Australia anyway?" Bob scowled. 

"The island has deer that have been living wild on it for around thirty years now. This is a big change, I know." Oliver started to play the slideshow for them of Melina's Island. It seemed to soften the anger and tension somewhat. It was a beautiful island, it really was, if a little over-grown. But for the nature of a werewolf there was nothing wrong with that. "It's about an hour from Tasmania by boat."

"Australia though. How different is that going to be for us?" Eve had known they were going there. But she asked it anyway. Maybe she'd been wondering for a while. "As a Pack. Isn't there a Pack there?"

"They do have running water and TV out there." David seemed amused by that comment.  "We've already consulted the Pack- Oliver's father started negociations ten years ago. They're more than willing to allow us to have Tasmania. Victoria is their netural state- all werewolves may come and go. New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and Western Australia are all claimed by seperate packs. There hasn't been a Pack war for twenty years."

That got a small inhale. That was an eternity compared to Amercia's constant clashes. 

"We'll be docking in about four hours, give or take, right?" Oliver asked. Eve nodded. "You've got that much time to decide and pack. Plane tickets in each of your names are here-" He tipped them out onto the little coffee table, "-and all are refundable. There's no time to shop. That's why we did it all now. Once we get off, the boat's taken to Australia the long way, and we'll be on a plane by night."

Eyes went from Oliver to the photos of the island. He didn't pressure them by waiting for answers but they'd need them. Oliver and David's eyes met.

"Three hours, I'd like to have a decision." David spoke up. "Just so we know. But till then you're all free to discuss amongst yourselves."

Oliver headed off when the meeting broke up, Julia following close behind, and they went down to his Cabin. 

"I'm coming." She announced. She knew she didn't have to. Julia had already made up her mind when he'd told her about it. Adventure? As if she could resist that