Chapter 2

Auggie gets a phone call from Ava a few minutes into our walk. He is a little hesitant at first because he didn't want to leave me alone, but I urge him to go. I watch him walk away, and I feel a little anxious to be alone on the streets on New York. It's not because I'm scared something is going to happen, I'm scared I'm going to run into someone from my past. I ran into one person already. I don't know if I'll be able to handle running into someone else, but I have an eerie feeling that is exactly what's going to happen.

The whole time I'm walking I'm looking at the floor. One reason is that I'm trying to hide my face, and another reason being I'm still clumsy and I have a tendency to watch where I step. When I finally look up, I can't believe where I'm standing. At the top of the stairs that lead to Topanga's, my mom's café. I haven't been here in years. When I'm here, I usually don't leave the apartment. So yeah, I haven't been here in years.

Against my better judgement I take the steps down. One step at a time, and I can feel nervous building inside the pit of my stomach. Why? I have no idea. That is until I'm at the bottom of the stairs standing in front of the window that peers into the café. It still looks the same. My mom was never susceptible to change. I wanted to walk in, but something stopped me. I see a group of three guys sitting at a booth. Two backs are facing me, and one is facing me.

I looked longer than I should have because a pair of blue eyes lock onto my stare. I see him make a movement to stand up and without a second thought I hurry up the stairs, but I wasn't fast enough.

"Riley?" I want to ignore him. I really do. I try to keep walking. "Riley, I know it's you and I know you can hear me."

I turn around, "Hi, Farkle."

"It's really you! You're back." He takes a step to me reaching out his arms, but I take one back dodging his hug. I can see the smile drop from his face.

"I'm only here for a week, and then I leave."

"Maybe we can grab lunch. Catch up."

"I'm really busy."

"Oh." There is an awkward silence. "Why don't you come inside for a bit. I'm with Zay and –"

I cut him off, "I really have to go. Nice seeing you, Farkle." I give him a small smile and right before I turn around to leave I see him walk out. Lucas freaking Friar. Of course. The universe hates me

"Hey man, where did yo-" he stops mid-sentence when his gaze shifts to me. "Riley?"

"Yes, it's me! Look I really have to go. Goodbye." I don't hesitant for a millisecond before I'm rushing up the stairs trying to get as far away from this place as I can.

The one place I want to retrieve to is my parents' apartment, but it's currently being held hostage by my former best friend. It shouldn't come as a surprise; it has always been like that since the moment I met her.

When I get back to the apartment building, I go to the roof instead of going inside. I don't know if Maya is still there, and I don't want to find out. This roof has always been my sanctuary. It wasn't a secret, everyone knew, but it never stopped me from running here. I think they took comfort in knowing where I was with giving me my space. That or they didn't care. One of those reasons is why no one ever came after me. Whenever I needed to get away from my life for a minute, I would come here. It was almost like the rest of the world didn't exist while I was up here. I had brought sunflowers up here to plant in the little garden that was abandoned to bring some life to the roof. I look over and I see that that they have withered away. I don't think people come up here much.

"I thought I would find you here." A voice startles me.

I turn around to see my dad walking onto the roof. "Hi dad!" I waste no time in throwing myself into my dad's arms. I've always been a daddy's girl. He is the one person I miss the most.